LOTS OF IGNORING AND DOWNSIZED BALDY BACKSTORY SKIP (author-chan is lazy)

You screeched at the sound before you felt the ground around you rumbling.

As you came out of the shack, once you were sure that the rumbling had stopped, the people waiting outside let out cries of relief. The crowd was quick to check up on you, making sure that you were alright.

You could've sworn that you caught a glimpse of white hair in your peripheral, but when you looked again, it was gone.

When the crowd dispersed however, you found Kagura and Shinpachi, devastated as they held their heads down.

"Gin-chan left."

You didn't know how, but you'd convinced yourself that they were being dramatic or hadn't understood whatever Gintoki had told them. There was no way he would leave completely - he probably just had the urge to get the new issue of jump that he forgot he already bought.

By the second day, Otose couldn't hold you back from looking for him.

You knew you couldn't do much on your own, however.

There was one person you were sure could help you.

"I can't help you."

"You're the vice chief! Of course you can!"

Hijikata huffed, taking out the cigarette in his mouth.

"You don't even know where he is."

"Yeah, that's why I'm here," you grumbled, crossing your arms. "You owe me, Toshirou."

He stared at you for a moment before standing up. "Fine. I'll see what I can do."

You had to muffle your laughter as concrete hit him square in the face, causing him to immediately bleed out.

"Allll right, step back, it's dangerous. You'll end up just like him," Okita called out to the civilians who had gathered once the factory began to explode. "He doesn't look hurt, but trust me, he's suffering inside."

The explosions continued, and you took a step behind Okita. The broken up concrete of the factory seemed to fall in one direction. "Hell of a mess that turned out to be."

"You're pretty messy, too," Okita muttered.

"You think that jerk Yamazaki died in that mess?" Hijikata ignored Okita.

"I'll bet you're going to die too, aren't you?"

You elbowed both of them in the side. The two didn't react at all, and you huffed.

"Why are you both still the same?"

"Vice chief!" Another shinsengumi member called out. Hijikata hummed as he turned to the man. "We just got word that the chief is inside with Yamazaki."

"What?" Hijikata turned back to the building. "Oi, oi, if it was just Yamazaki I was going to say forget it. But I can't do that if Kondo-san is with him."

You punched Hijikata's arm. "My husband might be in there!" Hijikata didn't react.

"Hijikata-san," Okita called from the car. "I forgot my flute at home. I'm going to go and fetch it."

"Okay, don't come back," Hijikata answered apathetically. He clicked his teeth as he walked ahead. "Jeez, how pathetic. That's enough. I'll go by myself. You all wait here."