Chapter 26

We were woken up that night by our parents sometimes late.

"Awww, look at them, just like when they were little," Mom said.

"What time is it?" I asked, yawning.

"Almost midnight,"

I stretched, I'd been in a bad position.

"Come on, off to bed proper."

I stumbled my way to the next room over, removed about half of my clothes before flumping down on the bed again. I could shower and get changed in the morning, for now, all I wanted was to sleep.

But sleep didn't want me.

I kept thinking about Sebastian, about Miriam, what I was going to say to her, what would happen with him...

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly rested when morning came and school was a chore. I somehow made it to lunch break. Rather than just sit with Nico I had something to do first.

After a few minutes, I found Miriam all by herself, eating outside on the grass.

My breath grew faster and my heart was beating.

"Hey," I said, approaching her.

"You're not supposed to see me, you know that." She wouldn't look at me.

"Right, well we need to talk." I took a breath. "I'm breaking up with you."

"Juno...?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't continue with this, whatever this is."

"Juno... please..."

"I can't go on like this Miriam, I've just come to realize that I don't really know you, and I don't feel like I can trust you anymore."

I could see her holding onto tears.

My guts squirmed around like a bunch of worms.

"I'm sorry," Was all I said before turning back. "It's for the best."

I left her alone, feeling every step stiff, like the whole of my being... It was harder than I thought, she'd been my first love...

I took a moment to collect myself in the bathroom before I went on to find Sebastian and Nico, together as usual.

"Hey, guys..."

"Hey," Nico said, "you look kind of somber."

"I just broke up with Miriam." I sighed.

"Did she or, did you?"

"I'm the one who dumped her... It was harder than I thought..."

"Do you still have feelings for her?" Sebastian asked.

"Yeah, obviously, but after what she did I just can't get over the pain, the lies, the betrayal..."

"What exactly did she do?" Nico asked, "I never got that."

"I... I... Don't want to talk about it right now."

Nico ruffled my hair. "Whatever you say, captain."

Sebastian reached out across the table and took my hand. "Everything will be alright."

Now it was my turn to hold down some sobs. "Thank you..."

The rest of lunch went on as normal, I didn't have much appetite, a rarity for me. We split up for our afternoon classes. I kept thinking about Miriam, struggling to hold it together.

Sebastian texted me once classes were over.

> I have work until 9, but I'm off tomorrow. We could do things if you're still open?