Chapter 13a

Miriam and I were dating, and my family knew.

I never thought there was a thing as too supportive, but there I was, having to endure my parents and Nico's teasing, or Diana singing the K-I-S-S-I-N-G song. There are worst problems in life, sure, but damn it, they knew just how to turn me into a babbling mess.

Miriam and I were spending more and more time together, her family knew and didn't mind us.

Nico and I's birthday came on the twenty-first of September, making us fall babies by the narrowest of margins. We chose to have dinner out rather than anything big like a party. We'd invited Sebastian and Miriam as my girlfriend and our best friend.

But first, we had to get through the day. When we came up the stairs for breakfast Mom came and hugged us both. "I can't believe my babies are seventeen today!"

"Well, that is how linear time works, last year it was sixteen," Nico said.

"Oh shush, let me have my moment," She said. "Your last year before you're officially adults."

I hugged her back.

"Soon you'll be out of the house and in college..."

"Okay, mom," Nico said, "We still have two years of high school to go over, and that's if we go to college."

She let us go and looked at us dead serious. "Excuse me, I did not bust my ass working in a kitchen for years for my babies not to get an education!"

"Well, I'm still planning to go to art school," I said.

"Good!" She looked at Nico. "You should be more like your sib."

"Ugh, mom, it's our birthday give us some slack! I'll figure something out eventually!"

"You better!" She said with a grin, ruffling his hair and dragging him back closer to kiss his forehead. "I'm still proud of you."

"So... gifts?" Nico asked with big pleading eyes.

"After classes, before we go out."

"Ugh, lame!"

"You know we can take your gifts away, young man!" Mom said.

"No, no please, school first, yes."

"Because I'm a very nice mom, you get to have one before classes."

"You're the best!" Nico said, kissing her.

Mom grabbed two gifts from the pile and then gave them to us. We opened them and found some clothes for Nico which he decided to try on. Mine was a little different; a chest binder.

"We talked about it before and thought you might want one. We made sure to get the right size." Mom hadn't exactly been discrete about wanting to measure us for clothing in the weeks before.

"Thanks, mom," I hugged her.

"Do you want to try it on?"

"Yeah," I smiled.

I went back down with mom and she helped me put it on. It was... weird. Not a bad kind of weird. Just new and hard to gauge what I thought.

"You look devilishly handsome, I'm sure a certain Miriam will enjoy it."

I blushed, nodding. "I hope she does..."

"Is something the matter?"

"I mean Miriam knows I'm non-binary and she seems okay with that, but I haven't really had the chance to talk transition and stuff... I don't know what she'll think..."