Chapter 21

This was my first time being grounded in as long as I could remember, and damn being grounded sucks. Don't get me wrong, I was usually a couch potato happy to stay home, but I could not stop pacing around the house.

There was this endless restlessness inside of me I just could not shake no matter how I tried to exercise.

Nico had started working at the Blue Moon Grill by now and this left me alone with dad most of the evening, which was the last thing I needed; stewing in my own thoughts even more.

What's more, at school, Sebastian and I were more awkward than ever since that night and the following morning where he'd confessed... Meanwhile, Miriam was holding true to her exclusion...

So we let Nico carry the conversation.

As he went into the bathroom I learned toward Sebastian.

"Why am I feeling so restless?" I asked.

"It's your wolf," Sebastian whispered, "it wants to run free, it's young and energetic."

"Tell my wolf it's also grounded."

"If you want to burn energy, just go chasing your tail."

I gave him a look.

"Look, your wolf wants out, can't you just shift private?"

"I guess?"

Nico came back, cutting our conversation short. "Did I miss anything juicy between you two?"

"What no?!" Sebastian said, going red.

For my part, I kicked Nico's shin under the cafeteria's table. He knew Sebastian's feelings and the situation.

The rest of the lunch period was even more awkward, we finished in silence and went our separate ways.

My American History exam went about as well as one can expect when their mind is distracted by stupid love triangle bullshit.

Miriam had been my first... She'd hurt me, but I still couldn't bring myself to hate her...

Sebastian... He was nice and cute, so ready to jump up and defend me from the Lindells...

But it wasn't just about them, it was about this whole damned conflict... I didn't want to pick a side, especially when I had no idea who was right or wrong, or if there was any right side, to begin with...

Despite their rough exterior, the Horsemen had been nothing but welcoming, meanwhile, Lindells had been judgemental...

I smushed my head against the cool desk, my exam papers barely touched and the clock recently moving forward without a care for my internal ... I was so flunking this class...

In a perfect world, maybe we could've said fuck this love-triangle thing, maybe be open, but Mama Lindell had told me that werewolves mated for life and once mated a wolf would never accept another partner...

That wasn't even going into Miriam and Sebastian hating one another...

I would've hit my head against the wall if it hadn't been for the whole class seeing me.

After ruminating my thoughts, again and again, I handed a hastily filled paper in. I was pretty sure my answers were off, but at least I'd put something...

With the end of the day upon us, I went out and waited for Nico. It was one of his days off. Nico found me at our standard meeting spot and came my way.

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

"Not well," I sighed, "I'm pretty sure I'm flunking history."