Chapter 17

Okay, so my night was going all kinds of crazy, and I wasn't sure how much of it was real. My head was completely in fog, I was buck naked in the October cold lying against an equally bare Miriam.

"I am so tripping balls right now," I muttered.

Mariam snickered. "Is that what you think it is?" She asked, taking my hands. "Just a dream?"

"I was walking feverishly outside, I must have passed out. This is the weirdest fever dream ever..."

"Are you saying I'm naked in your dreams? I'm hella flattered you're thinking you're dreaming me like this." She said with a grin, it was then I became so much more aware of how naked and closer we were looking away and feeling my skin burn. This definitely felt real.

"You're hella cute when you're all shy." She said with a chuckle. "But this isn't a dream, Juno, this is real and you're one of us now."

"You're... werewolves. You and your whole family, aren't you?"

Her eyes widened in surprise.

"I'd been thinking, part of me thought it was crazy, but it made... sense?" I massaged my temples, why were words so hard? "Why is my head all jumbled?"

"You're still recovering from the after effect of moon fever," she put a hand on my forehead, her skin felt cool as ice.

"Moon fever?"

"It's a side effect of your wolf being born, it'll get better."

Wolf. Born. Moon... The words mixed in my addled mind. "That wolf... It was you. You bit me!"

"I'm so sorry about that, but there was no other way," Miriam said.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I couldn't... I'm not allowed to tell outsiders... Or to turn anyone, but I broke the rules for you Juno, because I love you and I wanted you to be with me."

I jerked away.

"You attacked me! Lied to me for weeks!"

"I had no choice, I'm sorr—"

"Stop it!"

I shambled onto my feet. — Feet — A moment ago I had paws, I was a wolf... Everything spun, I would've fallen if Miriam hadn't caught me.

"Sit down! You're still recovering."

"Let me go!" I wiggled free, she didn't keep me own.

"Juno, please think for a moment. You're naked, feverish and disoriented, where would you even go?"

"Just away!"

"Please, Juno."

"Stop it! I trusted you, loved you! And you lied to me for weeks, assaulted me and cursed me into being a werewolf!" I fell down on my knees, crying. "Am I gonna hurt people? Eat them?"

"It's not a curse, Juno, forget everything you've seen we don't eat people, we don't go crazy on full moons, "

"I— I—" No words would come out of my mouth, I just hyperventilated, gasping for breath that wouldn't come.

Our conversation was cut short by the arrival of a pack of wolves, growling and baring teeth. I tried to crawl away, only for Miriam to interrupt me.

"It's okay, they won't hurt you."

At the head of the pack were two larger wolves; one silver-furred, and another husky-like.

"I know I broke the laws," Miriam said, "I couldn't bear to keep Juno in the dark—"