Chapter 2

I spent most of that weekend finishing unpacking or otherwise hiding down in my room; sleeping most of it away really. I was starting school again on Monday, a week after everyone else in town was supposed to.

Back in Tacoma, as far as anyone was concerned I'd always been that slightly weird, boyish girl with terrible grades and who missed a whole lot of school and who was typically too tired to do anything thanks to her disability.

Aside from the girl part (not that anyone but Nico knew), they were spot on, so it was no wonder I didn't exactly have friends, and needless to say, I wasn't particularly looking forward to school.

Despite my apprehensions, Monday came about. I woke up sore and tired as always. The sound of the greatest hits of the seventies through the nineties coming through my radio alarm.

I shambled out of bed and into the downstairs bathroom that Nico and I shared, getting washed before getting back in my room to get dressed. On the good side, my new school didn't have a uniform. On the negative side, that meant people would see my non-existent style; if it wasn't a tee, a hoodie, or jeans, it wasn't in my closet.

When I came out of my room, I came across Nico wearing nothing but his boxers as he went to the shower. He yawned before greeting me. "Hey, how's my little sibling?" Even though he was a grand total of twenty-six minutes older than me, Nico had never let his seniority go.

"I'm fine." Well, fine for my standards.

I nudged him toward the shower and went upstairs, starting to work on making breakfast for not just the two of us but also our little nine years old sister Diana. Mom was already gone to work, while Dad thanks to his freelance artist job often worked at night. I made one of my favorites for breakfast; eggs benedict with a dash of hot sauce in the Hollandaise. Thanks to mom, I knew how to cook. From dad I'd picked up some artistic skills.

After breakfast, we got going, moving through the misty street of the town toward school. On the way, we dropped Diana off at the local k-8th grade school. Since she finished earlier than us so dad would pick her up.

We went through the administration which set us up with student IDs, a map of the school, library cards, and our schedule for the first semester of school. Since I passed first, I was out before Nicolas was.

As soon as I was out, someone came to me; a tall skinny white boy with brown hair and a few stray facial hairs.

"Hey, you must be the new girl."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm Sebastian, you kind of just ousted me as the newbie in town, moved in last year,'

"Right."

"Anyway, I thought you might want a tour?"

I shrugged. "Why not." I probably came across as grumpy and annoying, but to be fair it was my default mood.

Once Nicolas came out, Sebastian showed us around, it wasn't exactly a big school, the cafeteria in the middle, gym to one side, most classes on the other, spread over two floors.

Sebastian and Nico seemed to get along well as I tuned them out. It was then a black furball caught my eye, along with her owner.

"Hey, Juno!" Miriam called.

Unlike me, she actually knew how to dress up. Since it was a chilly morning, she'd chosen to wear a fitted black and white striped hoodie over a tank top along with distressed jeans and a lace choker around her neck. At her feet was the now-familiar ball of black fluff called Heidi. This time however she wore one of those working-dog jackets.