Chapter 27

I followed Nico as he went down the stairs and braced himself against a light pole. He was obviously faster so it took me a moment to catch up.

"This is nuts," He said,

"It is,"

"How long have you..."

"A little over a week, trust me, I'm still not a hundred percent adjusted yet."

"Damn..."

"So... Miriam bit you."

"Yes."

"And told you about all this?"

"She didn't, I only found out when I turned at the full moon."

"Jesus..."

"That's why she and I are kind of done..."

"And the bikers?"

"Different pack, kind of rivals, it's complicated wolf politics, we can go over it later."

"Okay..."

Jim came to us. "You okay, son?"

"I just need a moment, cool down my thoughts."

"I can help with that!" Before we could react Jim grabbed Nico and threw him in the pool, making a big splash. "Cool enough?"

"What the hell, I have my phone on me!"

"Send me the bill, kid." He helped him out of the pool. "Now take a chair."

Nico didn't disobey the six-three man with the foot-long beard and arms wide ten inches wide. I sat down next to him and took his hand, squeezing tight.

"Well now you know our secret, you still want to be one of us?"

"I'm still kind of thinking this is a very elaborate prank."

"I assure you it is not." Jim looked around, "Mama, can you get this kid a towel!"

Teressa came by with a towel for Nico. Took his phone and set it in a tub of dry rice.

"You want to be one of us, you have to become like us," Papa said.

"So what, I get bitten?"

"On a full moon, then wait a whole month and you'll be a wolf, like us. But you the pack's more than just wolves, although I reckon you already wanted to join us."

"Yeah,"

"Well, we do have our traditions,"

"Traditions?"

"Nothing too complicated, a wee bit of hazing, a ceremony, a feast."

"Hazing?" Nico looked worried.

"It's not that bad," Sebastian said, having caught up, "It's in good fun."

"Can I have time to think? My head's kind of spinning..."

"Sure kid,"

"This isn't some kind of 'we can't allow you to live now you know this?' is it?"

Papa wolf laughed. "Maybe with trads, but we're flexible. Besides who are you gonna tell that'd believe you?"

"Fair point."

I rubbed Nico's shoulder. "Want to go home?"

"That would be very nice, yes."

I helped him up, thanked Papa and Mama wolf, and got to our car. Sebastian escorted us.

"Sorry, I owe you a date, I guess," I told him.