Chapter 43

Miriam and I were back on speaking terms and time would tell where we were headed. But before anything could happen I needed to get her and Sebastian on speaking terms, I could not be pulled in two directions.

The weekend barbecue was hopefully going to be the first step forward. Or it would be an unmitigated disaster.

I made home safe and got down to showering, my head lost in thoughts, did I want Miriam back? Would Sebastian be okay with that? Was I ready to forget and forgive? Would Miriam be okay with us?

I lingered so long I was taken out by mom knocking. "Juno, leave some hot water for the rest of us!" She called.

"Sorry!"

I shut off the water and hurried out, changing into Pajamas. I went up to get a drink and a snack. I made some hot cocoa and Mom came back from work. "Hey everyone."

"Hey mom, I think the others are out."

"Alright," She came over and kissed my head. "Mom-o-vision tells me there's something in your mind? Again."

"It's... I don't know if I want to talk about it."

"You know there's no judgment from me, right?"

I nodded. "Mom, what if I wanted to date more than one person at once?"

"Is that all?"

"Isn't that a lot?"

"Juno, the last three months I've dealt with a lot from you, this is hardly a blip on my radar anymore." She laughed. "I think a lot of people wonder about that at some point in their life."

"Am I too much to handle?"

"Sweetheart, I signed up for this, every kid is unique, you're just Unique with a capital-U but I love you however you are. Besides, I have been a teenager too, emotional drama's just par for the course."

I nodded, smiling a little.

So she hugged me. "So, is this about Sebastian and Miriam?"

"Yeah," I stirred my hot cocoa with a spoon. "I never really stopped loving Miriam but she also broke my heart, and now there's Sebastian too."

"I can't make decisions for you, as easy as that would be. What is right or wrong can only come from yourself."

"Right."

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow?"

"Not really?"

"Thanksgiving's coming up, I could use a hand to go shopping for decorations and food?"

"Yeah, I think that'll take my mind off my endless drama."

"It's all part of growing up, you'll find yourself soon enough."

"Thanks, mom."

Dad and Sophia came home from a walk and Mom's attention went to get her ready for a bath and bedtime. I went down and lounged around lazily, trying to distract myself with games.

Nico came home at almost midnight, sneaking in like a thief. The parents were already down in bed. I intercepted him in our shared downstairs hallway.

"A little past curfew aren't you?"

"Shush," he said.

"How was your date?" I asked, only for him to shoot me a death glare.

"Not a date."

I just had to laugh. "How was the not-date?"

"It was fine, mind your business Mx nosey-pants."

"Ouch, such a devastating insult."

"I don't prod into your dates?"

"So it was a date!"

He huffed and went back into his room annoyed. I was enjoying this a little too much. Nico was a little queer egg and too much pressure and he might break.

***

School went down fine, it was the last day before Thanksgiving long weekend too so that was good. As promised I went with mom —who was closing Passion for the weekend to have time with us— and we drove out to the city for proper shopping, Mother-Enby Kid day. Although being me, I slept through most of the car ride.

We hadn't bothered packing the old holiday stuff when moving down to California, there was a lot of it and we'd only rented a small truck for the important stuff, so we had to get a bunch of new stuff.

"I already have the turkey reserved, just need to pick it up," Mom said. "I need some stuff for the side dishes and decorations, are you going to invite anyone?"

"Probably just Sebastian, I think Miriam's family has their own celebration going on."

"Alright."

Mom took us through a dollar store first, and we picked up a bunch of stuff, mostly decorations. As we went through the aisles a little piglet plushie stood out to me.

"Can I grab that?" I asked.

"Sure, anything you want."

I picked it up and added it to the basket, Miriam's words coming back to me. I took a picture of it and sent it to her.

Look what I found <

> Oink! Oink! Love it!

Well, I got it for you, so good! <

> For me?

You like pigs you said <

> aww!

How is your Thanksgiving prep going? <

> Pretty good. Yours?

Doing late shopping, then gonna prep. <

> Good luck! See you Saturday?

"What are you smiling about?" Mom asked.

"Just talking to Miriam."

"So you want to get back with her? And Sebastian?"

"Maybe? I don't know yet..." I sighed, "It's all complicated, I'm not sure Sebastian's onboard or not... And you are taking this very well."

"I just want what makes you happy," Mom said.

I nodded.

We went to the grocery next and grabbed everything we needed. Some things could be hard to find in a small town, especially ethnic products. Then it was Turkey time, we had a big fat one promising leftovers for days.

We ran a few more errands around town before heading back to Redwood harbor. On the way home, I texted Sebastian if he wanted to come over for Thanksgiving dinner and sure enough he said yes.

I slept some more on the way home, and then spent the rest of the day helping mom in the kitchen making sides for tomorrow as it was all too much to do in one day. Most importantly her trademark Jalapeno cornbread, chorizo turkey stuffing, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie, and a whole bunch of vegetables plus marinating the turkey in oil and spices overnight.

I went to bed exhausted but feeling good, having done a whole lot, and most importantly not letting myself get stewed in dark thoughts.