Chapter 14

When I came back to my room it was with a towel around my torso. I hadn't thought about grabbing clothes.

"Oh hello there Juno," Miriam said.

"I need to get dressed."

"Do you want me to leave or stay? I promise I won't take a peek," she said. "Unless you want me to," she then added with a playful twist.

"You can stay."

She turned around and I felt my skin burn and it wasn't from the hot shower. I grabbed some clothes and sat down on the bed, slipping on some underwear under the towel before getting up and letting it go. I quickly put a bra on.

"Miriam? You can turn around now."

She did and I could see the surprise on her face at seeing me with nothing but underwear on.

"Damn," Was all she said. "You look hella hot."

"I feel like my skin's going to melt."

She came forward and put her hands on my hips. "I better hold you then, can't have that now can I?"

She leaned in and kissed my neck, sending little sparks down my spine. She started kissing her way down ever so slowly, coming close to my breasts.

Maybe because of my initial reluctance and need for time to make up my mind, in the past weeks we'd taken things slowly; little kisses here and there and plenty of cuddles, but nothing further, she hadn't tried to push things further and neither had I. So right then, that was the furthest we'd ever done and I felt a little dizzy...

"There are so many things I'd like to do to you," She whispered.

I didn't answer, it was like I couldn't breathe.

"But, you're going to have to ask for them," she said, raising her head away from my chest.

"Alright..." I muttered, still feeling like I was on fire.

"How about breakfast now?" She took the shirt I'd taken out earlier and handed it to me.

"That sounds really good."

I put on my clothes quickly while she looked away and checked her cellphone.

"Miriam?" I asked once I was done.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think I'm moving too slow?"

"What? Of course not."

"Are you sure?"

"Juno, it's been two weeks, we've known each other for only a little over a month, it's okay to take our time, get to know each other better, test the waters, see how we go together before jumping into things."

"You've had others before me, right?"

"In a way, yes."

"In a way?"

"You're different, the girls I've been with before, yeah we kissed, we had sex even. But we weren't really together, they were both deep in the closet and since I was open we couldn't even be friends in public, it was like I was some dirty little secret..."

She looked down at the ground. I came closer and took her hands in mine.

"You're different Juno," She said after a moment of quiet contemplation. "You're the first genuine chance at love I have and I don't want to mess it up, I want us to take our time, I don't want to rush into things and risk ruining what could be perfect."

I gave her a hug and she returned it tighter than ever.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you too," She kissed my forehead.

With that, we walked upstairs hand in hand. When we reached the kitchen we found mom up bright and early. Even though it was clearly a day off she was at the stove, the smell of baking filled the house and it was mouth wateringly amazing.

"We'll have muffins in fifteen minutes," Mom said, without looking at us at first. Then she turned around. "Oh, good morning Miriam, I didn't expect you to be joining us for breakfast." There was a teasing twist to her words.

"Good morning Ms. Alvarez," Miriam answered, her cheeks getting a little pink.

"Hey mom, day off?"

"I have to have a day off one of these days. Breakfast?"

"Yep."

"I'm going to read your mind." She put her hands on her temple and closed her eyes. "Eggs benedict?"

"Oh my god, you're psychic," I said, faking shock. It was my favorite dish period so it wasn't a hard guess.

"What about you Miriam? I know you're vegetarian, do you still eat eggs? I got them from the Wells stall at the farmer's market yesterday if that makes a difference."

"An egg isn't a living breathing chicken, so I don't mind them. Plus the Wells take good care of their hens."

Mom made us a pair of eggs benedict, one without bacon for Miriam, along with freshly squeezed orange juice. She was clearly addicted to making food. Mom kept the talk light through breakfast, not making a fuss of Miriam's sudden presence in the morning.

"Thank you for breakfast Ms. Alvarez," Miriam said once she was finished. "I need to get Heidi, get her morning walk done. Plus I've got soccer practice soon, so I probably should go." Miriam said.

"Mind if I come with you?"

"Of course not." She answered with a smile.

"It was a pleasure to have you Miriam. Juno, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Eh sure."

Miriam left us and I looked at mom.

"So, you got your girlfriend over for the night, eh?"

"I couldn't sleep, I texted her and she decided to come over."

"In the middle of the night?"

"We just lied down together, nothing happened."

"Hey, I don't have to worry about you getting pregnant so you two can do as you like," she said, nudging me as a wide grin appeared on her face.

"Oh my god, mom. No. Please be less supportive, cause this is weird."

"Me, less supportive? Over my dead body. Now go, have fun with your girlfriend, just be here for dinner, I'm making a Cochinillo asado, and if you bring Miriam over, make sure to tell me so I can make her something too."

"Yes mom."

"Alright, now scram."

I joined Miriam at the door and together we went out, hand in hand.