Chapter 36

Chapter 36

●●●

"You have to dive down here." Taehyung pointed at the water surface. They had stopped in front of an area of the beach that looked just like every other.

"No offense, but first off I can't see and neither can I breathe underwater." Jungkook shook his head. He had kind of worried that whatever Taehyung wanted to show him had to do with diving. He really didn't want to dive into nothingness without seeing a thing. Especially given all his past experiences with being under the water surface.

"Your human lungs should be enough. And I could lead you through?" Taehyung's tail flicked out of the water a little and Jungkook realized that the whole time they had been in the water Taehyung had seemed a lot more energetic than Jungkook was used to. Taehyung seemed to have a hard time holding still.

Just like he had been talking more. Maybe this was what Jimin had meant when he had said Taehyung needed to go back to the ocean. Taehyung quite literally ran out of energy when he was walking on solid ground.

"Lead me through?" Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows.

"Hold you when I dive down."

"Hell nah." Jungkook quickly brought his hands up as if to stop Taehyung. He could hear Taehyung chuckling even if he didn't see it because the moon was right behind him.

"That's just terrifying. What if I do run out of air, or you just let me go in some tunnel or something and then I have to try to get out, but I'm running out of air?"

"Jungkook. I could just pull you down, now."

Jungkook shook his head. "You're just toying with me. Isn't that a typical siren thing? Mind gaming your victim till it practically drowns itself."

"Want to go back?" This time Taehyung wasn't laughing. Jungkook was a little surprised, admittedly. He had expected Taehyung to continue trying to convince him. Was he doing this because he wasn't trying to force Jungkook into this?

"No...uhm. I don't think so." Jungkook hesitated a little. He did want to see whatever Taehyung had been trying to show him, but at the same time he really was anxious. Even if Taehyung had made it sound like Jungkook trusted him now because he'd decided to swim with him... it wasn't quite that.

As sad as it sounded it was probably more that Jungkook was so exhausted from being scared that he had just stopped caring, even if just for a second. But that didn't mean that he felt comfortable diving like this. Especially not if he couldn't communicate with Taehyung under water... since the siren probably knew how long a human could survive and keep kicking under water but very likely not how long humans actually felt comfortable not breathing.

"I-" Jungkook hesitated. He'd been doing so many risky things today, but at least he knew that if he survived this he could truly trust Taehyung. "I swear, if you drown me I'll come back as a ghost to haunt you. I don't care if ghosts don't exist. I will be the one ghost that does exist." He warned and Taehyung chuckled. "I'll dive down with you under one condition. We can't be down there longer than thirty seconds... do you think you can do that?"

"Yeah." Taehyung nodded and his silver gray hair moved in an almost unnaturally beautiful way in the moonlight.

"And if I pinch you, that means you need to hurry the fuck up because I'm running out of air." Jungkook continued.

"Pinch?"

"Like this." Jungkook reached out and softly pinched the skin of Taehyung's upper arm. Taehyung watched him do it before nodding slowly. Jungkook probably could have done it ten times harder and Taehyung couldn't have cared less, but he didn't exactly have to provoke a reaction.