Chapter 56

Chapter 56

●●●

Jungkook barely realized Taehyung had started singing when the room around him changed and he was back at the house party. Minji's voice was the first thing he could hear clearly. Actually even clearer than he had the first time he had talked to her at the houseparty. She looked a little different too.

A little Uncanny Valley. He was noticing different things about her. The first time his focus had been on her eyes and the conversation they were having, but now he was consciously noticing the features of her face... and actually felt nothing towards her. No anger, no sadness... he was just waiting for Jung- himself to finish talking to her.

"Do you mind if I talk to you for a second?" She paused for a bit, looking right at him, before looking back at Jungkook. "Alone?"

He felt a spike of annoyance. Why was she trying to leave with Jungkook? He and Jungkook had come here together.

Wait, Jungkook? Only now did Jungkook realize that these weren't his memories. They were Taehyung's. He was seeing what had happened at the house party from Taehyung's eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I promised Taehyung we would stay together."

Relief. Jungkook wasn't going to go back on what they had agreed they would do. Even if he had previously been in love with Minji.

They continued talking but he no longer listened. Instead he was looking around. For a second Jungkook spotted the man that had later taken pictures of them but Taehyung barely registered him and continued scanning his eyes over the interior of the kitchen and the other people around.

"You have a crush?! On who? Is she pretty?" Minji's voice had gotten louder so Taehyung's attention snapped back to her.

"Yeah, they are pretty. And I can't say?" Jungkook had a crush on someone? Did Taehyung know them? Maybe the girl Jungkook had mentioned dating? Why had Jungkook not told him about that?

"I don't really have a chance in the first place so it doesn't matter." Taehyung felt a little spike of annoyance. Jungkook was nice. Why would someone not like him?

Minji touched his arm again as she said something and Jungkook... no, Taehyung felt the urge to reach out and slap her arm away. Jungkook had clearly said he didn't like her anymore so why did she keep touching him like that? And why was Jungkook letting her? Why was he smiling as he answered her?

"I hope things between you and Chohee work out!" She hugged Jungkook and Taehyung had to stop himself from hissing. Why was she disrespecting Jungkook's boundaries this much? If Jungkook didn't like her she had no right to touch him.

Was Chohee her friend? Was that why she had come over? To get Jungkook and her friend to date? Humans really were weird. To do something like that...

"You used to love her?" Taehyung didn't get it. Why someone like her? There was nothing special about her. He had thought Jungkook would have been pickier.

"Yeah. But as I said before, I no longer do. As sad as it is, people tend to fall out of love quite easily." Jungkook reached out to hold his shoulder and Taehyung leaned a little into the touch as he followed Jungkook to the main area.

How could someone who had once loved Jungkook willingly give him to someone else? She should have fought to make things between them work. To make Jungkook happy, and yet here she was, trying to push that job onto a friend of hers. That was egoistic. There was no way she had even loved Jungkook in the first place.

"And she... wants you to fall in love with her friend too?"

"Yeah. Because she thinks I could be happier that way." Jungkook was scanning the area with his eyes. Why was she assuming that Jungkook wasn't happy... he seemed to be when he was spending time with Taehyung. Sometimes he was a little overly careful but that was reasonable given how Taehyung had treated him in the beginning.