Chapter 78

Chapter 78

●●●

"Thank fuck we're back home." Jungkook kicked off his shoes, and simply dropped his jacket on his suitcase. He would bother with putting his stuff away later. Four hours spent on train, had already drained him enough, even if he had managed to sleep a little on the uncomfortable train seats. And Taehyung's shoulder certainly hadn't been the softest either. Especially since he tensed every time anyone walked by.

After collapsing onto the sofa and ordering some food so that they could at least have a belated lunch Jungkook closed his eyes tiredly. Why did traveling always knock him out like this?

"I'm going to take a bath." Taehyung stood in the doorframe, still looking a little tense. He was probably exhausted for the exact same reason Jungkook was.

"Go ahead. Mind opening the door for the delivery guy later? Just take whatever you want." He closed his eyes again, barely even hearing Taehyung's affirmative response before he nodded off.

When he opened his eyes again, not that much time had passed. The late afternoon sun was shining through the window on Taehyung, who was sitting on the carpet in front of the sofa, Jungkook had been sleeping on. He was flipping through the uno cards Jungkook had explained to him during their train ride with the original intention of playing a game with Taehyung, but in the end, they didn't have the time.

The siren's hair was still wet from the bath that he had likely left only a few minutes ago. For a moment Jungkook found himself a little stunned at the way the orange light perfectly framed Taehyung's features. The once so pale deep sea siren had developed the lightest hint of a tan, given that he no longer spent all his time in places the sun didn't reach.

As usual Taehyung's senses were immaculate. He didn't even turn around to look at Jungkook as he asked, "Could we play a round now?".

Jungkook hummed softly in affirmation before climbing off the sofa to sit cross-legged next to Taehyung. Following Jungkook's previous instructions Taehyung handed each of them cards before flipping one card from the remainder and placing it on the floor.

Occasionally, Jungkook would steal a glance at Taehyung's face as he was sorting the cards in his hands. Sometimes Jungkook couldn't believe that he and Taehyung actually were... together now? It felt so odd, but at the same time like the most natural thing in the world. His apartment would just feel empty if Taehyung suddenly wasn't there anymore.

Taehyung was just in the process of brutally crushing Jungkook when the doorbell rang.

"Food delivery?" Jungkook looked up, he had thought that Taehyung had already gotten that one.

Taehyung shook his head, pointing at the table. The boxes of delivery food were indeed already placed there. It seemed Taehyung had waited for Jungkook to wake up so they could eat together, given that everything was still untouched.

But that left the question of who else was showing up today. As far as Jungkook knew Eunji was still visiting her parents and also probably would have sent a message if she had been planning to come by.

Like a guard dog, Taehyung followed right behind Jungkook as he got up to check. Jungkook couldn't suppress a small smile as pulled his keys from the small tray next to the door. He wondered when Taehyung's vigilance towards every human would completely leave.

He pulled his suitcase away from the door to get it out of view of their visitor before finally opening the door. In front of him were two men Jungkook had never seen before, wearing military uniforms. His heart gave a little jump, uncertain how to react. For a second he felt like maybe he should run, but his response felt a little sluggish.