Bruised Egos & Booty Smacks

Grant wrapped his arm around Lily as they leaned up against the lockers. To his left stood Ford. Violet had already headed to her first period class, wanting to introduce herself to the teacher and get a jump start by asking for a list of the semester's assignments.

"Coach told me to swing by his office before 1st period. Something about the big homecoming game. See you at lunch?" Grant said to Lily.

"Definitely," she smiled.

He leaned in for a kiss and Ford turned away, not wanting to watch.

"Ford!" Grant hollered after he had finally removed his tongue from Lily's mouth. He smacked Ford on the shoulder to get his attention. "Walk Lily to class will ya?"

"I'm fine," Lily quickly interjected before Ford could answer. She didn't need anyone to walk her to class, especially Ford Jameson. He was always giving her a hard time. She didn't know why in the world he didn't like her. She figured it was because she took up most of Grant's time, but still, he didn't have to be a jerk.

"His class is right across from yours and I don't want anyone stealing my girl on the way to class," Grant joked, grabbing Lily and pulling her close for another kiss.

Ford rolled his eyes and turned away, which did not go unnoticed by Lily.

Fine," she smiled sweetly. His comment was a little possessive and misogynistic but she knew he was kidding and was just trying to appear like a doting boyfriend.

Grant walked off leaving the two of them standing awkwardly side by side against the lockers.

"Well, after you," Ford pointed down the hall. She couldn't tell if he was trying to be snarky or sweet.

Lily started walking quickly, hoping he couldn't keep up, but Ford jogged right up beside side. He was on the football team, after all, what was she expecting? It's not like it would be hard for him to catch up to her.

Just then a boy whistled at Lily and she felt someone smack her ass. She turned in shock, mortified and angry as all hell, but she didn't even have time to react. Ford had already slammed the boy up against the locker.

"Don't you fucking touch her ever again!" he said, pinning the kid under his forearm.

Wow, Lily thought. He was certainly taking his job as her escort to class rather seriously.

"I...I'm..." the boy tried to speak but he was unable to get the words out from under the pressure of Ford's arm.

"Ford, it's fine," Lily said tugging at the back of his shirt. It wasn't fine. She wanted to punch the kid in the face, but people were starting to stare and the last thing she needed was to be suspended on the first day of school for being involved in this kid having the shit kicked out of him.

But Ford wouldn't loosen his grip. There was fire in his eyes. Lily didn't think she'd ever seen him this mad before. He was usually pretty quiet, except for when he was teasing her. This was a side of Ford she didn't even know existed.

"Ford, let him go," she said more seriously this time, looking him in the eyes. "He's not worth it." When her eyes caught his it seeemd to snap him out of his rage spiral and he loseened his grip.

"Apologize," he said.

"I'm sorry," the boy said sheepishly.

"Now get the hell out of here." He pushed him forward.

"You okay?" Ford asked and his tone immediately softened as he turned to check on Lily.

"Yeah, thanks." She gave him a small smile. Sadly that may have been the nicest thing he'd ever done for her.

"Perverted ass punk," Ford mumbled under his breath while Lily picked up her bag. They continued down the hall in silence.

"We need to get you a girlfriend," Lily teased, trying to lighten the mood. 

Lily never understood why Ford was single. He was incredibly good looking. Even though they butted heads, she couldn't deny the fact that he was ridiculously hot. And what was ever crazier was that he appeared to have no concept of how good looking he was. Girls were always asking Lily who he was interested in, but she never really knew. He always kept things with girls flirtatious at best and she never understood why.

"Why?" Ford asked, surprised by Lily's statement.

"To put some of that aggression into something else. Maybe you would lighten up a bit with a girl around." 

"I don't need a girlfriend," he said firmly.

"Why? You don't like kissing?" She continued to poke fun at him.

"Why would you say that?" he asked, confused.

"I see you turn away when Grant kisses me. Sorry it grosses you out so much."

"That's not it."

"Then what?"

It was quiet for a moment before Ford finally spoke.

"It doesn't matter."

There was a long pause. Lily waited for him to explain.

"You know you really shouldn't wear skirts that short," he said, trying to change the subject.

"Why?" Lily asked in irritation.

"Because you don't know what's going through guys minds when they see you in that thing?"

"Oh, really Ford," she replied sassily. She couldn't believe he was trying to make it seem like she was a fault. "And what exactly are they thinking?"

"They're thinking about all the perverted things they want to do to you."

She stopped in the middle of the hall and he followed suit, turning towards her.

"Is that what you're thinking Ford? All the perverted things you want to do to me?" 

She was trying to tease him and make him uncomfortable. She knew it was the farthest thing from his mind, but she didn't like anyone telling her what to wear so she thought it was her turn to give him a hard time. 

But her plan backfired. There was a long uncomfortable pause as he stared at her with an intensity she hadn't seen before. It almost seemed as if he were going to throw her up against the lockers. Was he mad? She couldn't read his expression.

And then it faded and he looked down at the ground, removing his hat and running his hand through his hair. Then he put his hat back on his head and said, "Come on, let's get you to class."

He grabbed her by the hand and was practically dragging her down the hall. He clearly wanted to be rid of her as soon as possible. He'd never touched Lily before and there was something about his hand wrapped around hers that made her body react oddly. It wasn't like when Grant held her hand. Ford's touch was forceful, almost passionate, and something about it gave her butterflies in her stomach.