The Thing About Trouble

Alcohol coursed through Lily's veins. It felt good to forget. It felt good not to feel. After she stormed out of the house, she headed to her friend Sienna's house. She'd been so consumed by the drama with Grant and Ford and her pregnancy that she had neglected her friendships, not that she had many of them. Lily's relationship with Grant had taken up most of her time, or she'd allowed it to, and once she was with Ford, she pretty much went M.I.A. Grant always insisted that Sienna was trouble, and he wasn't entirely incorrect. She never abided by her curfew and she'd been busted by the cops on more than one occasion which had resulted in a few Minor in Possession tickets. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. But the thing about teens that are trouble, is that they're also usually...fun. And fun was exactly what Lily needed; if it came with a side of trouble, well that was fine with her.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Sienna asked, sensing that something was wrong. Other than class, she'd barely seen Lily the last few months so she had a hunch that her sudden reappearance, and need for a good time, was because something had happened to upset her.

"No," Lily stated firmly.

"Good," Sienna replied. She didn't really want to hear about whatever it was anyway.

"Here," she said, pulling a beer out of its hiding place in the back of her closet. She handed it to Lily then grabbed one for herself. 

"Cheers!" she said, and the two clinked cans.

"So what are you up for tonight?" Sienna asked.

"Anything. Everything," Lily replied, having already finished half her beer.

"Perfect," Sienna smiled. "Charley gave me her old ID plus one her friend used to use."

Sienna's sister, Charley, was the only girl Lily knew who was probably more trouble than Sienna. 

"Now we just need to find you something to wear," she said while searching through her closet. "No, no, definitely not," she spoke aloud to herself as she searched through the shirts, flipping past one hanger after the next. "Oh here we go," she said as she pulled out an extremely short and extremely tight white off-the-shoulder dress.

"Jesus Sienna, that's so short I can't tell if it's a shirt or a dress," Lily said, finishing her beer.

"It's a dress!" Sienna's voice went up an octave, as if she were insulted by what Lily was insinuating.

"For your dolls?" Lily teased.

"Ha ha," Sienna rolled her eyes and handed Lily another beer, which she immediately cracked open and started drinking.

"I'm going to look like a slut?" Lily protested.

"So?"

"I can't go to a party like that! I'll never hear the end of it at school on Monday."

The last thing Lily wanted was more attention being drawn to her at school. She was ready to fade into the background until graduation.

"We're not going to a party. I'm so over the same lame parties at Bennie's and those stupid immature high school boys."

Lily couldn't disagree with that. She needed to be around new people, not the same crowd with the same drama. It was time to start fresh, plus the last thing she wanted was to run into Ford.

"Ok, so what do you suggest?"

Sienna smiled.

"There's a dance club in PC that my sister told me about. Apparently they're notorious for letting in underage girls as long as they have some sort of ID."