Saved by the Bell

"What was the impact of World War 2 on the U.S economy and workforce?"

An uncomfortable silence filled the room.

"Miss Haliday? Miss Haliday!" Lily's history teacher shouted her name from the front of the room.

"Oh, sorry, I'm here," Lily said, as she snapped out of her daydream. She lifted her hand to indicate that she was present and several snickers could be heard throughout the classroom.

"Yes I know you're here Miss Haliday. I took attendance 20 minutes ago. I was asking about the effects of World War 2 on the U.S economy."

The entire class stared at Lily and she felt red hot with embarrassment. She'd been thinking about it again, thinking about what she and Ford had done. She hadn't been able to focus on anything else: not her father when he had asked her to pass the butter at dinner right after Ford had gotten dressed, kissed her on the top of her head and left, or when Violet had offered to help with the dishes when she had noticed that the water was overflowing in the sink and she certainly hadn't been able to focus when she was with Grant, whom she'd thankfully only seen once since she'd had sex with Ford.

"Sometime today Miss Haliday," Lily's teacher laid on the sarcasm thick as she waited impatiently for her response.

"Oh, right," Lily sat up in her chair, brain scrambling for a response. "Well, I think one of the effects was..."

Oh shit, oh shit, Lily thought to herself. If she had read chapter 27 like she was supposed to then she would know the answer to the question but she hadn't read it because, oh that's right, she had been too busy thinking about Ford's dimples and Ford's eyes and Ford's body. Oh sweet Jesus, his body....Lily shook her head, trying to focus.

"One of the effects was definitely that it impacted things in like a good way."

Lily mentally cringed at how stupid she sounded.

"That's a given Miss Haliday, but could you be more specific."

Just then a student entered the room with a note for the teacher which bought Lily a few moments to hurry and try to compose her answer. History was not a class she was doing well in and she needed the participation points to bring up her grade.

"Well Miss Haliday," her teacher began, after reading the note. "Looks like you've been saved by the bell, so to speak. You have a call from your father. You can take it in the office."

Lily tried not to smile as relief rushed over her. She quickly gathered her things and headed out the door, but as she walked down the hall, her relief was replaced by panic as she couldn't figure out why on earth her father would be calling her at school: that had literally never happened before.

Lily's pace quickened and she threw open the door to the front office.

"My dad called," she said, handing the note to the administrative assistant.

"Here you go honey," the woman said as she chomped on a piece of gum. She was always chewing gum, in the most obnoxious way, like that annoying girl from Willy Wonka who turns into a giant blueberry.

Lily took the phone from the woman's hands and held it up to her ear trying not to panic.

"Dad?" Lily practically blurted out loud.

"You don't have to shout. I'm not deaf."

"Dad?" Lily asked. She was confused by the tone in his voice. He sounded different.

"Try to sound a little less confused or lady chomps-a-lot is going to catch on."

That's when Lily realized it wasn't her father on the line. It was Ford. But why was he calling her and where was he calling from? Lily looked at the administrative assistant who was eyeing her suspiciously.