Kegs & Cowboys

Lily stood in the dirt driveway outside of Bennie's parents' house. It wasn't surprising that he still lived at home. In high school, Bennie had received the "most likely never to recover after high school" award. From what she'd heard over the years, he'd certainly lived up to that title. Lily, on the other hand, had received "best eyes" and her sister two years later received "best personality" which she had been secretly jealous of. Maybe her life would have turned out a little better if people had seen her as more than just a pretty face.

She scanned the cars parked on the front lawn searching for a very specific pickup truck. When she didn't spot it, she couldn't tell if she was relieved or disappointed. Don't make this about you, she scolded herself. You're here for Violet. Straightening out her dress, she took a deep breath and headed towards the front steps.

The house was exactly how she remembered it, which made her smile. House parties at Bennie's were a regular occurrence during her high school years. He was the guy with those cool parents who didn't mind if thier kid drank. Hell, half the time his parents were partying right along with all of them.

"Lily Halliday!" she heard a voice shout. "Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Before she could say a word, she was being lifted up into the air in a giant bear hug. Her skirt lifted slightly and Lily tugged at the fabric trying desperately to pull it down. Only one person could get away with this type of behavior: Bennie Bomers.

"Actually, it's Adler," she said once Bennie had finally set her down.

"What?"

"My last name. It's Adler now." She tried to straighten out her dress.

"Well you'll always be one of the Halliday Hotties to me," he laughed. 

The Halliday Hotties. That was the nickname she and Violet had been given in high school. It drove Lily crazy, maybe because she was being lumped in with her sister whom she felt she was nothing like. Violet acted as if she loathed the title but Lily could tell that there was a part of her that secretly liked that she was finally being seen in a sexual way. For a long time she was simply Lily's nerdy little sister, until one day everyone started noticing her, and a lot of that had to do with Grant. 

"How the hell have you been?"

"Good, great really," she lied. "How about you?"

"Oh you know," he said rubbing his protruding belly and then opening his arms wide pointing to the walls of his parents' home. "Just livin' the dream."

Bennie could always be counted on to lighten the mood. He never took himself, or anything for that matter, too seriously.

"How are your parents?"

"They're the same. They're around here somewhere. I'm sure they'd love to see you. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to see you."

Lily gulped and her stomach dropped. Suddenly the thought of having to play "pretend my life is perfect" with a bunch of people she hadn't seen in 15 years seemed like a terrible idea. But she wasn't here for herself. She was here for Violet and to celebrate Grant's life. It wasn't personal, at least that's what she kept telling herself. 

"I need a drink. Where's the keg?"

"That's my girl," Bennie said, smacking her on the back. "It's in the usual place out back."

Before she could thank him and give the obligatory "It's great to see you," the front door swung open and Bennie was off giving his usual jovial greeting. Lily headed towards the back door hoping she could get a little liquid courage in her before she ran into too many other people from her past, a feat that proved impossible as soon as she saw her sister. Violet wasn't drinking, of course. She was busying herself around the house passing out Hors d'oeuvres and making sure everyone was enjoying themselves and had what they needed.