Secrets & Lies

Monday rolled around fast and furious with Lily hoping that she could just stay hulled up in her room forever, not wanting to face the consequences of her actions. One minute she was on top of the world, smiling to herself and blushing every time she thought about Ford, but the next minute she would cringe at the memory of opening the front door to a very concerned Grant. While he had been worried about what had happened to her, she had been fooling around with his best friend. Grant hadn't heard her conversation with Ford at the dance but he had seen that whatever took place between the two of them had made Lily upset, upset enough that she had run off. And Grant being the sweet naive trusting boyfriend that he was, assumed that her sudden departure was because Ford was being Ford and giving Lily a hard time about something, which wasn't entirely false so Lily didn't bother to correct him.

"I know Ford can be difficult sometimes but I really need the two of you to try and get along. I've got enough on my plate right now with scouts watching me. I don't need to deal with the two of you at each other's throats," Grant had said and Lily had nodded and pulled him in for a hug, unable to look him in the eye. If Grant only knew that they were getting along, far too well. She didn't know what Grant would do if he discovered she was cheating on him and she didn't want to find out. 

The hall was packed with students busily going to and from class, cramming things into lockers, laughing and talking. Lily was lost in her thoughts when she looked up and saw Ford at the other end of the hallway. He was walking straight towards her, quickly and with a purpose in his step. A panic rose inside her. She didn't know what to do or how to act. There were so many people around, so many witnesses to how they would interact and she didn't want anything getting back to Grant. She wanted to talk to Ford. Well actually, she wanted to do way more than just talk to him. She shook the dirty thoughts from her mind. Ford had left so abruptly the other night that they hadn't had time to iron out the details of how this was all going to work, maybe that's because it couldn't work, or at least it shouldn't, not behind Grant's back. Lily decided it was probably best to just pretend she didn't see him. It wouldn't be the first time, so no one would notice or think twice.

Ford watched Lily intently as he approached, never taking his eyes off of her. She looked down at the ground as he got closer hoping he would get the hint and keep walking. The hall was busy and his body came so close that they almost collided. He brushed past her without a word, but as he passed, Lily felt him touch her hand lightly and put something in it. It was the stealthiest of moves, so quick that no one would have noticed amongst the chaos in the hallway. Lily was so surprised she almost dropped it. She clenched her fist as tight as she could do it wouldn't fall out.

She didn't look at it right away. She wanted to make sure no one saw the exchange. It was risky of Ford, and she couldn't believe he had taken the chance. There must be something important that he had to tell her if he was willing to risk being seen. Her mind raced over what it might be that he so urgently needed to say. Her heart dropped. Was he ending things? Was he breaking up with her before things had really even begun? The idea of never being able to kiss his lips again or feel his touch, made her stomach drop.

She made her way to the girl's bathroom as quickly as her legs would carry her, went straight to a stall and locked herself inside. She pressed her backpack up against the door and unfolded the small piece of paper.

I miss you.

I can't stop thinking about you.

I want more.

Meet me now in the storage room behind the stage.

Lily's heart fluttered at his words and her whole body felt warm. She knew being alone with Ford would mean only one thing and messing around at school was a risky game she wasn't sure she wanted to play. She had a test today in her art class. She needed to go. She should go.

She thought about it for all of a few seconds before she made her decision. It wasn't the smart decision, and it was most definitely the morally wrong decision, but it was the decision that sent a rush through her body. Being with Ford was like a high that she didn't want to come down from and Lily was already addicted and in deep.