Podunk Town Heartbreak

They rode in silence for what felt like forever. There was something off with Ford. He was acting strange. He was never a particularly talkative guy, which always drove Lily crazy because she wanted to know what he was thinking, but his current quietness went beyond his usual restraint. Despite his demeanor though, Lily was hell bent on holding out. She wasn't going to be the first one to speak, even if it was killing her inside.

"How'd you sleep last night?" Ford finally caved and spoke. Lily felt a quiet victory inside for not being the first to speak.

"Actually, I slept better than I have in a really long time, probably because of the weed. Thanks again for that. I needed to mellow out."

"Really? I would assume your life is pretty mellow in California, what with your perfect husband, that big house and all that money."

Lily was blown away by his snide comment. What was his problem?

"Excuse me? Did you seriously just say that? And how would you even know how big my house is?"

He ignored her question and continued with his tirade.

"Rich, married, childless. That was your dream, right? You got what you wanted."

"Are you kidding me right now?" Lily was shocked by his hostile comments. And saying that being childless was what she wanted was such a slap in the face. How could he be so cruel? What happened to the kind, flirty Ford from last night? Then she remembered that he didn't know about her impending divorce from Richard. Maybe he was irritated that she was flirting with him while she still had a ring on her finger. She stared down at the giant diamond, frustrated with herself for her inability to take it off. She tucked her hand under her leg, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Money and a husband don't always equal happiness," she replied.

"Says the girl with the giant rock on her finger," he retorted.

Okay, clearly he noticed the ring.

"Why are you being such an asshole, and by the way, it's not like you're an expert on happiness. You don't have a wife or kids or even a girlfriend from what I can tell. You're stuck in this podunk town doing the same thing day in and day out, clinging to Violet and Grant, pretending it's like the 'good ole days'."

She knew it was mean, but Ford was being cruel, and she didn't understand why or what she had done.

"Well you don't need to worry about me clinging to Grant anymore," he said sarcastically and Lily immediately felt bad for her insensitive comment. 

"And maybe I like this 'podunk town' and doing the same thing everyday."

"That's bullshit. You're just scared of trying something new, of putting yourself out there and being vulnerable."

He slammed on the brakes and the truck jolted to a screeching halt. Ford threw the car in park and moved closer to Lily.

"I did put myself out there, 16 years ago. A lot of good that did me!"

He was mad. She'd never seen him this angry before but she wasn't going to back down. He was being a jerk and he deserved to hear what she had to say. She wanted to stop herself, but the anger inside was boiling over and it was mixed with her desire for Ford: a dangerous combination. She wanted him, more than she ever had, but she was too pissed to let him know it.

"You LET me leave! You let me walk away!" She yelled, inching towards him. 

She was fuming but the rage quickly turned to an overwhelming sadness as tears streamed down her face. Between her marriage ending, Grant dying and seeing Ford again, it was just too much. She was mad at herself for crying in front of him, but she couldn't control the feelings that were overwhelming her.