The Runaway

Time seemed to stand still. It was as if it were just the two of them and Lily had to remind herself that they were surrounded by a large group of people, a large group of people who were watching her every move and freely criticizing it even when she was well within earshot. 

As if sensing her uneasiness Ford said, "looks like you could use a drink." He held out the stack of cups offering one to Lily. She gladly accepted his gesture and gave him a smile.

"Lily! No way?!" She had barely grabbed the cup when she was being swooped up into the enormous arms of yet another one of Grant's good friends. What is it with these guys, she thought to herself. Hadn't anyone heard of a simple handshake or the obligatory two cheek kiss hello that Lily was greeted with by all of Richard's pretentious Newport Beach friends.

Lily flailed her legs in the air trying to get him to put her down, but he swung her around faster and the only thing worse than the thought that he might stumble to the ground and take her down with him, was that she could once again feel her dress riding up, exposing her backside. She cursed herself for wearing this old dress as she tugged at the fabric. Her eyes traveled around the crowd of onlookers as she was spun amongst the gawkers and for a brief moment, she caught Ford's eyes staring at her rear end as it peaked out slightly from underneath her skirt. He immediately averted his eyes when she caught him staring.

"Hi Mike," Lily said once her feet had returned to Earth. "How are you?" She adjusted her dress, pulling the thin cotton fabric down as far as it would go.

"Doing as well as I could hope for," he said slightly slurring his words. "Married, two kids. Who would have thought it, right?!"

No one would have thought it. Mike was always kid of a dick. She never knew why Grant was friends with him. He was a cocky son of a bitch who used girls and tossed them aside when he was done with them, usually going out of his way to ruin their reputation just for the hell of it. When he wasn't busy being an asshole, he was usually completely wasted. By the looks of it, that hadn't changed.

"That's great Mike. So happy to hear you're doing well," she feigned interest in his life.

"What about you? I hear you're living the California dream: big house, rich husband, fancy cars..." He held his hands up and waved them back and forth in the air in an "ooh look at me, I'm a big deal" sort of gesture.

Lily glanced over at Ford hoping he wasn't listening to their conversation. Someone was talking to him, but to her dismay, Ford stared straight at her, not even trying to avert his gaze, like he did when she busted him staring at her ass moments earlier. He was listening and he wanted her to know he was listening.

"Something like that," Lily said, returning her attention to Mike and giving him a polite smile even though he was clearly trying to mock her lifestyle. She tried not to take it personally. She knew it was about his own insecurities.

"Say, what's a girl got to do to get a drink around here?" Lily asked, desperately trying to change the subject.

"Nothing you haven't done before!"

Yep, definitely still an asshole, Lily thought to herself as Mike let out a big bellowing laugh from deep inside his round belly. He had really let himself go. By the looks of it, a lot of the guys had, but not Ford. Even through his T-shirt she could tell he was in great shape. He had only gotten better with age, yet he still sported the same old blue jeans and chin length hair held back under his dirty old cowboy hat. Even when he got ready, he still looked somewhat disheveled, but in the best of ways. Richard in a tux and trying his hardest to look good didn't even compare to a dressed down Ford. Dirt and sweat had never looked as good as they did on Ford Jameson.