Chapter 38- Just A Friend

"Found you," Lance said as he leaned over Lilith's shoulder and then moved to sit in the set next to her. "I wasn't trying to hide," Lilith smiled, "Well you did choose the most secluded section of the library, I didn't even know there were tables back here." Lance said, "That's why I like it," Lilith said, "Well then shall we get started?" Lilith asked, "Yeah, so did you get any ideas about what our project should be?" Lance asked pulling out his notebook, "I've got a few but I thought you should do a final choice." Lilith said handing him a paper with the list.

"Mutations in Superhumans?" Lance asked in surprise, "It's more research than an experiment, but yeah." Lilith said, watching him read through the rest. "What about, solar panels. I heard they were doing discussions on using them as roads." Lance said, "You want to do that?" Lilith asked, flipping through her folders. "Yeah sounds fun," Lance told her, "Great, let's do some research then," She said, her stomach growling as she stood, "Did you eat yet? It is our lunch break after all," Lance asked, "No I kind of forgot my wallet so I couldn't get anything from the cafeteria." Lilith explained sheepishly.

"Why didn't you say something I could have gotten something," Lance said and Lilith turned away to look at the books. "It's fine I'll just run home right after school since we don't have club today." Lilith told, "No here, Mama Fay always packs way too much food for my lunch." Lance said, pulling out a practically full container of food.

"Have you eaten?" Lilith giggled, "Wasn't very hungry," Lance lied and Lilith didn't want to argue as her stomach growled again. "Well if you want to share it, but the library doesn't allow food." She said, "Well we can go eat and come back," Lance said cheerfully, "Okay," Lilith agreed.

She gathered her stuff and followed Lance out to the garden.

With summer nearly here and then summer vacation started right after the science fair at the end of the month. Lilith couldn't wait, no school which meant a lot more time to do missions and take care of her garden.

"It really does look amazing, I never really paid attention to that before," Lance said giving Lilith a sandwich as they sat on the grass under her tree. Lilith took it gingerly as she looked back at the garden.

"It always looks different when you're the one putting the work in on it, but things often look amazing in the summer sun." Lilith smiled, "I agree," Lance said and Lilith looked over at him, thinking about grabbing a carrot from the box, but as she turned to ask Lance for one she saw that he was staring at her with a goofy grin. She sighed having seen that grin plastered on Conner's face many times before when he was looking at Meg.

She didn't say anything as she saw Meg watching Conner from the outdoor table with her friends, Conner however was on the grass on the other side of the field. Pretending to read, she however knew that look he was listening in on a conversation and she had a gut feeling it wasn't Megs.

"The carrots are good," Lilith said reaching for the box and taking one, Lance sighed but his smile didn't fall as his phone dinged and he pulled out his phone. Lilith's lips twitched as she saw the Lion keychain dangling from his phone. Lilith bit the inside of her cheek and as Conners' eyes met her she said, "Would you like to get Ice cream with me after school today?"

Lilith didn't regret saying it especially with how happy it made Lance sounded as he said, "Yes, yeah sure. I like that,"

What Lilith didn't understand was the almost confused look on Conner's face.

***

Lilith ran home to drop off her stuff and grab her purse, glad her father was taking a nap in his room. Mostly happy because all she had to do was leave a note saying she was going out with friends and didn't have to elaborate or explain herself to her father. He was a lot like Batman in how overprotective they were of Lilith, something she wasn't a hundred percent about why.