Chapter 23- Lilith the Hero?

"Father I want to talk to you about superheroes..." Lilith said as she looked in the mirror of the bathroom. Her father had gone back to work on the condition that Lilith would stay in the young justice base when he was gone. That way her mother couldn't easily kidnap her while he was away. She wanted to argue but when Batman and Conner had approved she was outnumbered. Lilith didn't mind since it meant she could still train without her father knowing. 

She sighed and started again, "Father, I am about me rejoining the team....no-" Lilith sighed as she ran her hand through her hair, her hand paused on the hair comb. She pulled it from her hair and looked at it. She nearly jumped a foot in the air when Conner said something.

"Having fun?" Conner smiled from her doorway. She hadn't bothered to close it since she was about to head home with her father. "Gezz Conner- Clear your throat next time or something. You scared the bejesus out of me," Lilith breathed, "Yeah I can tell," He said, gesturing around her. To make her feel more comfortable while she stayed there; Meg, with what Lilith could only assume was prompting from Conner. Had decorated her room with plants galore. When Conner had startled her the few in the bathroom had grown rapidly and wrapped themselves around Lilith's arms and legs. Lilith closed her eyes and made them grow back to their proper size. She opened her eyes to find Conner watching her. 

"You okay?" Conner asked his smile all but gone. "Ye-No," Lilith sighed moving to sit on her bed, Conner came over and sat next to her watching as she stared at the hair comb in her hand. "Still haven't figured out how to convince your father to let you rejoin us?" Conner asked, "No," Lilith complained, and they sat there for a few minutes in silence.

"It's ironic isn't it that a family heirloom is a rose?" Lilith faked a smile, "It's pretty," Conner said trying to go along with her. "I got it from my grandmother, she said her mother gave it to her and so on and so forth." Lilith sighed and her shoulders slumped as she held the comb in her palm. 

"I'm not quite sure where this is going, but Lilith...you should ask your father to let you back on the team," Conner said leaning a bit so he could see her face better. But she turned her head letting her hair fall over her shoulder so her face was hidden from him. "I-I can't, I just have such a hard time talking to people." Lilith whispered, "You're talking to me just fine and to Meg. He's your father how much harder can that be?" Conner asked, and Lilith closed her eyes her heart feeling as if he was squeezing. It almost hurt to hear him so confident in her when she didn't feel the same way. 

"Conner, I'm scared that he will say no. I don't think I could handle that," Lilith said, "He won't say no and if he does then you just have to change his mind." Conner said sliding off the bed to kneel in front of her. "You can handle anything, I know it," Conner said brushing her hair behind her ear. Her eyes were sparkling a bit from the slight moister from the tears that were threatening to fall.  as his hand cradled her cheek. She took in a calming breath as she leaned into his hand, closing her eyes. She was almost completely lost in his touch when a voice cut through her head, her own voice. 

'Steal him?!'

Lilith jerked back from Conners touch and when she saw the hurt expression on his face she wanted to apologize, but her voice failed her. 

"Lilith your fathers here," Batman's voice said through the speakers. and she jumped off her bed grabbing her bag as she headed towards the door, putting her hair comb back in her hair. She hadn't realized Conner had followed her until she turned to say something and nearly ran into him. She took a step back in surprise. 

"C-conner..." She said pausing and not looking at him. though she realized later that looking at his chest probably hadn't been a good idea. "Yes?" He asked, "Would-would you come with me and-and help me ask my-my father?" Lilith stammered, he immediately smiled. "Of course,"  he said and Lilith turned trying to stand tall as they walked side by side down the hall, she was so caught up in her own head that she almost didn't see Meg right outside the door to her room half floating through the wall. She pretended not to see her as Conner waved to her and thry headed in the opposite direction Conner at her heels. 

***

"You ready to go home pumpkin?" Father asked as we walked into the training area. "Um," Lilith said and paused not wanting to go further. If it wasn't for the fact that she could feel Conner only a few inches behind her she would have probably stayed frozen. "Father..." Lilith sighed taking in a deep breath as he and Batman walked over to them. "Yes, Pumpkin?"

"Father I wanted to talk to you about something," Lilith said softly, "We can talk on our way home, we should hurry, the snows coming down pretty hard." He said and turned to head towards the door. "N-no, father I want to talk here..." She started and Conner stepped forward to where she could feel the warmth emanating from him, "It involves them too." Lilith said her voice getting stronger as she spoke. Her father paused and turned back to look at her concerned, "Alright," He nodded and stood waiting. Lilith licked her lips and then took in a deep breath. Only to keep staring silently at the floor between Batman's boots. 

"Well?" Batman asked, Conner, put his hand on her shoulder. "I want to be a superhero and the young justice league is giving me that chance. I want your permission to keep fighting evil with them." Lilith said her eyes resting on her father rather determined, after a pause and a glance between Batman and her father he turned to her. 

"Lilith I know you want this, but-" He paused, "But?" Lilith sighed, her shoulders falling. "Being a superhero is dangerous. I know your friends are strong and you have these amazing powers. However, I can't let you put yourself in danger just because you want to no be like your mother. You're just a child after all," he said,
Lilith stared her mouth gaping open. "But that's not the only reason-Batman?" Lilith stammered, "If he won't let you, I can't." Batman said turning and walking away as Lilith looked between them, "But-But-" Lilith stammered, "No, No. I'll hear no more of it, come on let's go home." Her father said, he took her hand and half dragged her out of the cave. 

She was barely able to give a panicked look towards Conner before Meg appeared at his side. He had started to move to stop them and Meg had taken his arm. Lilith could have sworn she was holding onto his arm with a death grip, but she doubted he would have been able to tell.
"Father...Conner..." Lilith breathed and she knew only Conner heard her, though he didn't try to stop them as he stood looking at Meg instead. Which was just another punch to her gut.