Chapter 58 - Conner

Conner walked slowly towards the cave. It had been a week and he hadn't found a single clue of where Lilith had gone. He wasn't even sure if she was even still on the island, it was like she dropped off the face of the earth. Not even Batman could seem to find her, she left the cave and made it to her house but vanished from there.

Conner hated to admit it but Meg and the other's theories about her working for the villains only made sense if you thought Lilith might have called for them to come to get her and they obliged. Conner however wanted to hold out hope that maybe she was just kidnapped and didn't vanish without at least saying something to him.

'I'm sorry wonderboy,' Lilith's voice echoed in his head.

"Conner did you not get my message there is a mission," Batman said sternly meeting Conner just inside the entrance.

"Have someone else do it," Conner said sternly, "What?" Batman said in surprise just as Meg entered the room.

"I'm not feeling up for a mission," Conner said, "Conner now is not the time for this, there's-" Batman started, "Handle it yourself," Conner sneered, "Conner?" Meg said in surprise, as Conner moved to step around Batman.

"I don't know what's gotten under your skin but people need our help," Batman said and Conner paused, "Lilith needs our help," Conner spat over his shoulder at Batman before heading to his room leaving Batman standing calmly in the middle of the cave which was still mostly in disrepair. Meg ran after Conner stopping him right in front of his room.

"Conner, what the hell was that?" Meg snapped, "I don't know what you mean," Conner said stone-faced, seeming to look right through Meg like she wasn't there.

"You've barely spent an hour home since... Well, you know and now you're turning down missions and snapping at Batman. What's going on Conner? Talk to me," Meg said, "Talk? You want to talk?" Conner sneered finally looking at her with an expression she could only describe as disgust.

"Yes, talk... Like we use to," Meg said looking away in embarrassment, "Really?" Conner said seeming to try and keep his temper down as he let her talk.

"We use to talk a lot, we know everything about each other. Or I thought we did," Meg placed her hand on his chest. He looked down at it debating what to do. "Please Conner talk to me, tell me how I can fix this." Meg half begged.

Conner sighed swallowing his emotions before going stone-faced again.

"I don't want to talk, about anything with you Megan." Conner said, "Megan?" Meg said in surprise almost pulling her hand away when he finally moved to reach for it. He took her hand ruffly in his, she had never seen him not try to be gentle with her before.

"I've got nothing to say to you, not anymore," Conner said ruffle tossing her hand aside. Meg stepped back in shock.

"I truly once believed we really did know each other, I felt safe with you but I know now that I was a fool-" Conner paused as he stepped forward towering over Meg as he spoke, her looking up at him in shock and awe. She had never seen this side of him before. "-I've realized I don't know anything about you. Not really, because I thought you were a sweet kind-hearted girl who saw the good in everyone. Someone who wouldn't hurt a fly unless she had to, and I realize now I was wrong. You're just like all the rest of them; rotten, selfish, and worst of all a liar."

Meg stared at him tears welling in her eyes. Conner stepped back from Meg.

"I'm done with this Megan, playing hero. Because what's the point of being a hero if I can't protect those I care about," Conner said, Meg opened and closed her mouth a few times before shaking her head.