Lesson 28: Joe Is Candy

"He said what to you?!" Selena exclaimed, and I sighed. We were currently sitting in the cafeteria at lunch, eating out 'food'.

I was telling Selena what Derek had said to me on Facebook last night. She didn't really believe it, but neither did I. I mean, I didn't do anything wrong, and it was only yesterday we'd made it official, so we could not have an argument so soon.

"When I get home . . ." Selena muttered angrily, cracking her knuckles. I moved away a bit, scared.

"You're not gonna beat him up, right?" I joked. "I need my boyfriend with all his body parts for Homecoming." If he asks me.

Selena gave me her 'you are not actually serious' look.

"You still call that jerk your boyfriend after what he said? He called you a waste of his time for goodness' sake!" She exclaimed, and I flinched away. Her eyes widened.

"Thanks for reminding me." I croaked as she hugged me.

"I'm so sorry Amber! I'm just so angry with him I forgot the wound must still be fresh." She explained.

"I'm not helping am I?" She asked, and I chuckled, shaking my head.

"No, not really." I replied, and she grinned.

"But, if you ever need someone to beat him up, just say so. I know a guy." She said, winking, and I laughed.

"So, we're going shopping today!" She announced when we were keeping our trays away.

"I don't even know if I'll have a date." I sighed, and Selena rolled her eyes.

"Stop whining! If my jerk of a brother won't ask you out, someone else is bound to!" She said, winking in the direction of a certain boy.

I blushed and looked away when he glanced at us, remembering the argument we had a couple of days ago. I made a mental note to apologize to him, because he was right.

Derek couldn't be trusted.

That much.

******

I was standing by my locker when I felt someone next to me. I turned around, expecting to see Selena waiting for me so we could go shopping, but instead I saw Joe.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, surprised. "Hi. What are you doing here?" I asked, awkwardly looking at the floor.

"Uh, I wanted to apologize for what I said. I guess I was-" He hesitated and looked away, his cheeks going a light pink.

"You were what?" I teased, and he smirked.

"I was concerned-"

"Jealous." I cough-said, looking away casually. He rolled his eyes playfully.

"As I was saying, I was conce-"

"Jealous."

"Concerned."

"Jealous."

"Concerned."

"Concerned."

"Concerned. Ha, you didn't trick me!" He exclaimed, grinning and I huffed, pouting and crossing my arms childishly.

"Okay, okay. I was jealous, a bit." Joe admitted and I grinned, laughing.

"See! I told you so!" I said triumphantly, smiling. He smiled back.

"Anyway, I wanted to know if you wanted to come with me somewhere after school." He said, and my heart leaped, butterflies forming in my tummy.