Lesson 11: Handshakes Aren't Always For A Good Purpose

"What happened?!" These were the first two words I heard when I walked into our living room with Chloe. I was shivering like crazy with Joe's jumper wrapped around me. My hair was still dripping wet and I'd stepped into a dog's poop on our way back.

In other words, I was really fed up.

"Mum, did you see moving trucks this week?" I asked her, ignoring her question. She smiled.

"Actually, I did! Oh, I forgot to tell you and Chloe, we're getting new next door neighbours!" She exclaimed. Chloe cheered while I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, and Amber, I've heard they have a son your age! Maybe you two can become friends!" She said, looking at me.

Yeah, we'll be friends when pigs fly, I thought.

"Anyway, Amber, get out of those clothes right now! I've baked some cupcakes for you to give to our new neighbours, and you can't go looking like that! Plus, you could get a cold!" She said. I replied by sneezing and walking upstairs to my room.

After taking a shower, fixing my hair and putting on some new, dry clothes I went downstairs into the kitchen. My mum gave me a plate of cupcakes.

"Try to not sneeze in them please." She said. I smiled at her sweetly and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Now go!" She said and practically pushed me outside. I walked next door and knocked on the door.

Then I had an idea.

I knew I was gonna sneeze and I quickly covered my mouth with my hand. Yes, this is really disgusting, but it would be worth it. Maybe.

I sneezed into my hand and a woman opened the door. I smiled politely at her.

"I'm Amber, your new neighbour. My mum insisted that I should bring over these cupcakes for you and your family to have." I said sweetly. She smiled back.

"Well, Amber, I'm Mrs Smith but you can call me Sarah. Please, come in and meet the rest of the family." She said, and I went inside. The hallway was a creamy colour and there was paintings on the walls. I went inside the kitchen which was massive and dark blue.

"Guys, come down! We have a visitor!" Sarah shouted. I heard Joe and John coming downstairs and I smiled. So far, so good.

John walked into the kitchen first and grinned at the sight of cupcakes. I rolled my eyes. Then Joe came into the kitchen looking hot as always (I'm not ashamed to say so) and his eyes widened at the sight of me, then he smirked. I grinned back.

Okay, lights, camera and ACTION!

I kept the cupcakes down and walked over to Joe. "Hi Joe! I totally didn't know you'd be my neighbour!" I exclaimed, shaking his hand with the one I sneezed into. Yes, it was disgusting but I was tired and delusional. He looked at me weirdly.

"Well, I told you at the park." He muttered. I ignored him and turned to John.

"Hey there, John! I just wanted to say I totally forgive you for what happened in the park." I told him. He nodded and grinned at me. I grinned back.

"Amber, would you like to say for dinner?" Sarah suddenly said. I looked at her and smiled.

"As much as I'd love to, I can't. I have... some homework, yeah homework to do." I lied. The truth was, I just didn't want to stay in the same room as Joe for more than 15 minutes.

"Well, that's a shame. Thanks for the cupcakes though, I sure they'll taste delicious," Sarah said. I nodded and smiled at her. I was walking to the door when I heard Sarah say.