32. ocean away

am i the one to blame?

when we're dancing in the same room,

but you're an ocean away

== r i c k y ' s  p o v ==

i wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of pouring rain hitting the window hard, rolling myself over. after a few minutes of laying still, i hear sniffling coming from the other side of the bed, my heart instantly breaking.

i genuinely don't know what to do. i don't think i can do anything, actually—i can't rip the pillow out from in between us, i can't say anything (because then she'd know i've been awake, that'd make everything worse), i can't..

you know what? it's fine. she said she's fine, i just need to fucking listen to her for once.

but then again..i told her i was fine. and i'm the farthest thing from it. i just miss her so much already, i don't know how i'm gonna go back to real life—

"ricky, go to sleep," she sniffles.

uh oh.

i try and play it off, faking a yawn, "i am."

"well you're breathing too loud. for a fucking spy you'd think—"

"shut up," i laugh tiredly, rolling over again and trying to get some sleep.

•• the next morning

i stretch slightly as i slowly wake up, the bright, orange paris sun shining through the curtains on the window. i hug my pillow tighter, curling into it--

until i'm awake enough to realize that it is most definitely not a pillow.

it's a she.

i lay frozen, having absolutely no idea how to go about this. it wasn't on purpose, i swear to god, it just happened. i literally have no clue where the pillow went, i would never do this consciously.

but it's not gonna look like that. i just know it. she's gonna wake up and think i'm trying to get one last time out of her or something gross before the mission ends, and then i'm definitely fucked.

i'm just gonna slide out as fast and as gentle as i can and pretend like it didn't happen at all--

oh god.

she's moving. she's rolling over. she's snuggling her head into my arm and her silky soft hair is getting all over my arm and chest and so close to my face.

i think i'm gonna explode.

okay. no. it's fine. nini's still asleep, obviously she doesn't realize that she's doing any of this. nothing's changed, i still need to get myself the fuck out of this situation. it's just harder now.

um. by it i meant the situation, not..uh.

fuck it, i'm just gonna..

i slowly drag myself out from under her, sliding out of bed quietly and making my way into the kitchen. there's still time before we usually get up, so i'll just shower first and let her sleep.

i smile from behind the counter as i pour my coffee, watching her roll herself over in her sleep again. she's snuggled up with one of the pillows now, dozing off with her beautiful face squished into the silk material.

i pull my eyes away though, because i have to.

that was the deal. she told me, explicitly, how it was never going to work out. and i promised her i'd stop and back off for good.

which means no ogling her while she's sleeping, even if this is the last time i might ever get to see it.

this is me stopping. and backing the fuck off.

for good.

== n i n i 's   p o v ==

•• the castle

"how does my makeup look?"

"like you did it yourself."

"ASH."

ashlyn bursts out laughing at gina as she pins my hair into place behind me, taking out the rollers i let her put in. the bright sunset is shining through the window, almost blinding.

the ballgown is beautiful, like everything ashlyn makes, it's silky and red and it flows down my legs perfectly with a slit down the side--it's easy to move in, too, obviously.

we only have a few minutes to get ready. carlos was going to put us on duty tonight, we just barely convinced him to let all three of us officially attend with the prince's exclusive invites.

of course, that means cleaning up the ballroom afterward, but it's not like i'll be here anyway. by this time tomorrow, jasmine jones will be long gone. i'll hand in my letter of resignation at dawn and that'll be the end.

if we complete the mission, that is. that's best case scenario. worst case, ricky and i have e.j's blood on our hands.

fun.

== r i c k y 's  p o v ==

"you're late for cocktail duty, loverboy," carlos sighs as i hurry into the dining hall, tightening my black tie.

"i'm sorry, dude. i had to pick up my suit from the dry cleaners—"

"how are you affording that??" he cackles, "whatever. just don't let it happen again."

it definitely won't—just not in the way he's thinking.

i carry the silver tray with shots of different colored liquids, being careful not to spill as i walk into the ballroom through the back entrance. the ball is already in full effect, there are hundreds of guests dining and dancing to the music.

i make sure my masquerade mask covers my face, scanning the room for e.j. nini should be here any secon—

oh, fuck. wow.

no. no wow, ricky. shut up.

she catches my eyes immediately as she strides down the steps, her dress flowing behind her.

== n i n i 's  p o v ==

i sigh, putting my glove-covered hand on the railing, my flats tapping against the marble staircase.

i spot ricky in the crowd immediately, it's just where my eyes go to, he's serving drinks to a guest as he winks at me.

we stay in different circles for the majority of the night (keeping our focus on keeping e.j safe) nonchalantly whispering code words to each other through our earpieces every so often.

there are multiple celebration events for e.j's coronation, i have the entire itinerary memorized. the tango is after the toasts, which are nearing their end.

people cheer as they gather on the dance floor, myself included to fit in. gina just about dies when the prince takes her hand, ashlyn cheering her on. i turn to find ricky behind me.

"can i have this dance?" he asks, grabbing my hand gently before pressing a kiss to my knuckles.

which definitely does not make my heart flutter, because it's part of the plan. obviously.

i hold back a smile, "you mean may you?"

even through his mask i can tell he's rolling his eyes playfully, "may i?

i nod—here goes nothing.