02. moral of the story

𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙥𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙥𝙚𝙤𝙥𝙡𝙚 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨

𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚𝙨 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙙𝙚, 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙖𝙡𝙧𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩, 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙤𝙠𝙖𝙮,

𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙢𝙚

𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙖𝙡 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

FIVE HOURS AGO - jacksonville, florida

"LETS GO JAGUARS!!" i hear justin shout from the living room, which jolts me awake. i moved in with him last year, unable to afford a place by myself. we've become pretty close, which is a problem, seeing as he's twenty-five and still hasn't grown out of his frat boy phase--and of course, some of his douchey ways have rubbed off on me. i groggily roll over and check the time--oh my god! shit. fuck. i'm two hours late!

i jump out of bed and throw on some clothes, grabbing my suitcase and zipping out of the door. i know it must've been pretty confusing for justin, who doesn't know about my other job. i just don't have the time to make up an excuse right now. i make it to the airport just in time, flying on filmore grave's private jet to their headquarters. on the ride over, i take the time to look over my case file. i already picked up some kind of janitor's outfit and a masquerade mask the other day, i just need to go over the rest. apparently, it's a partner mission out of country. i'm going to be going by the name anthony smith for however long this lasts for.

i rush into the headquarters, my rolling suitcase practically flying behind me. i head to the front desk, the escort taking my suitcase.

"richard bowen," i tell him.

"you're late."

"i know, there was a complication. it won't happen again."

"room A23," he sighs, stuffing my suitcase onto a conveyor belt which will eventually store it in the private jet we'll be flying after the meeting. i grab my keycard and enter the room, my jaw dropping at the sight of who's waiting inside. nini salazar-roberts.

holy shit. it's really her.

we haven't spoken or even seen each other since she transferred junior year--after our breakup, she completely cut me off--. there's so much i want to say to her. all of my thoughts from the past eight years are flooding back to me at once, and nothings coming out.

"nini.."

"ricky."

"you have no idea-"

"let's just wait for vivian so we can get this over with, okay?"

== n i n i 's p o v ==

oh my god.

what are the odds?! no, seriously. how in the hell is he an agent?? you'd think this is all just a little bit too much commitment for him.

i'm just praying that this mission is a short one.

"so guys, this is going to be a pretty long mission," vivian says, entering the meeting room. we immediately take our seats for the briefing, not wanting to waste her time. vivian graves is the director of the entire undercover program, and she basically does all the organizing herself. i mean, of course she has people gathering information everywhere, but she's actually here providing us with instructions.

"alright, the job is to save prince caswell from a possible assassination by the french mafia. we've gotten you two jobs as castle workers, and you'll be staying together in this cabin," she tells us, sliding us both folders with information and keys to our new living space. wait, i'm going to have to live with ricky?? i can't do this. there's no way.

"this'll most likely take place at his coronation masquerade ball, which is why we're sending you off now. gather as much intel as possible while using your aliases. can you do this?" no. no way in hell.

"yes, of course."

"great. the jet's waiting outside, you two better get going. good luck." she stands up and exits just as quick and powerful as she came, leaving ricky and i with an awkward tension in the room. great. this is great. amazing. just wonderful.