17. i see the light

𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒎 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒅

𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒔 𝒅𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕

𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖

== n i n i 's p o v ==

ricky and i catch our breath as the song comes to a close, ricky tucking the dark red rose back behind my ear. we stay like this for a moment as the quartet resumes it's usual soft music and the crowd that was dancing disperses. ricky's eyes keep fluttering between my lips and eyes, making it pretty obvious he wants to kiss me. i shouldn't..right? i mean, i shouldn't want to, but..

"uh--so..we should probably get going, it's getting dark.." i speak up, gently moving out of our position.

"what? the sun's just barely setting, i have more things planned," i give him an unsure look, "work things, i swear."

"fine," i smile, letting him lead the way back over to the sidewalk and further down the strip.

ricky takes us over downtown by a secluded tourist dock to the seine river. there, a dark wooden (but seemingly sturdy) rowboat with a guitar and a to-be-lit lantern waiting on the floor of it.

"a while ago..you said you wanted to go on one of those romantic boats like in the movies..so i-"

"you actually remembered.." i say with unintended shock, biting back a smile.

"of course i did, nini," he says, as if he'd be insane if he didn't.

"you and your rom-coms," i joke as ricky helps me into the boat before getting in himself. the sun's just barely setting, a sliver of it's bright orange light still peaking through the horizon amidst all of the growing darker blue. the stars have started to peak through, too, and the eiffel tower can be seen over the line of glistening blue water along with the top of the royal castle on the other side of the river. ricky and i get situated on either side, our knees occasionally grazing the other.

"how'd you even find out about this?" i ask in awe.

"i found out that it's a tradition for the city to release flying lanterns into the sky exactly a week from the prince's birthday, hence.." he holds up the unlit light beige lantern from behind him.

"and the guitar?" i gesture toward's ricky's guitar on the other side of the boat.

"oh, that's for later--"

"let me guess, it's a 'work' thing?" i raise an eyebrow, knowing that absolutely none of this was ever about work.

"well, uh," he scratches the back of his neck, looking for the right response. i laugh at him trying to find the right words, which makes him smile.

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

...

"hey, nini?" i ask after a moment of silence, the only noises being the faint music from over the water and insects chirping at the sunset.

"hm?" she looks up at me with her bright doe eyes, which seem to sparkle brighter than all the stars and lights around us.

"what did you mean, earlier? when you talked about taking pancakes to gina?"

"you know what i meant, ricky. i'm fine with it...it's not like we're still together or anything," she shrugs, breaking our eye contact and looking back down at the water. what the fuck is she talking about?! did i miss something?