01. happier

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐢'𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡

𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮

== n i n i 's p o v ==

EIGHT YEARS AGO - salt lake city, utah

"i do, ricky. i love you."

i'm sitting here on my bed with ricky bowen, after just playing him the song i wrote for our anniversary. it's true, i really do love everything about him. from his brown eyed grin and his messy, curly hair to his smelly feet. i've spent my entire life growing up with him, and if i'm being completely honest i've loved him for a lot longer than what i've said. he's the only male figure that i've ever really had in my life and loved, and i'm sure the feeling's mutual.

"oh."

maybe not.

"oh?"

i honestly didn't think of an outcome where he'd react this way, and i have no clue what to say. does he not love me? did i do something wrong?!

"yeah, uh--it's just..a really big thing to post online. look, um, i've been thinking..you're going to the youth actor's conservatory..all the way in denver. i just..maybe we should just..chill? for a minute? and see other people?" see other people?! he's been thinking about that? i feel the tears start to pool up in my eyes, and it takes everything to keep them from coming out. i can't afford to make an even bigger embarrassment of myself.

"no, yeah. right."

PRESENT - los angeles, california

"you know what, kourt? i'm definitely ready," i say, taking in a deep, relieving breath as i look out at the gorgeous view of the city through my apartment loft window.

"i don't know why you're so worried, neeners. going out of country right now is just the break you need," she tells me over the phone. i moved to los angeles with kourtney to support her fashion boutique she was starting, while working a boring desk job downtown. of course, that's only my day job.

"it's not just about going out of the country," i tell her, laying back down on my bed, "it's about saving lives and kicking ass! that's a lot for a person!"

"it's not like you haven't been on a mission before. i'm just saying, nins, it's not a crime to enjoy yourself! let loose a little!"

"you know me, letting loose is not my strongsuit. we're not sixteen anymore," i joke.

"you could learn a little from your sixteen year old self, nini."

"what do you mean?"

"all i'm saying is, before what happened with ric-"

"ugh, don't even say his name. we've been over this, that was centuries ago."

"whatever, have you started packing yet?"

"of course! my suitcase is a mess, though. they don't tell you where you're going beforehand, so i've got a snow jacket and a few tank tops in here," i laugh. i look over at my dresser and notice my memory box, which is kind of like a lucky charm for me. i pack it into my suitcase and quickly zip it up.

"did you bring a swimsuit?"

"i have a feeling i'm not going to be swimming much on a mission, kourt. they did have me pick up this maid outfit i'll have to wear undercover at some point, though. and a masquerade mask. and an alias."

"an alias? the last time they gave you one of those, you were gone for six months!"

"yeah, i remember. for the next who knows how long people will be calling me jasmine jones."

"ugh, i wish i was an undercover agent."

"kourt, you literally own your own boutique! i'm a receptionist most of the time."

"yeah, but other than that, your life is so adventurous!" she says. i finally look at the time to see that it's almost time to leave, which means i'll have to say goodbye to kourtney for who knows how long. we're not allowed to have our phone on missions, just in case it gets stolen or tracked.

"shit, it's already six."

"alright, go kick some ass, jasmine! love you!"

"love you, kourt! bye!"