26. love me like you

a/n
this chapter's kind of more mature, but it's mostly filler so skip if u want :) no smut or anything tho LMAOO i save that for the mr. mazzara x reader i have written in my drafts 😏 (IM JUST KIDDING DONT EVER TAKE ME SERIOUS BYE) also this is the tiktok version of the song and it hits DIFFERENT at :41 thank me later

~

𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙣𝙚𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙣𝙪𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧𝙨

𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙞 𝙜𝙤𝙩 𝙢𝙮 𝙣𝙪𝙢𝙗𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙣𝙚

𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩, 𝙞 𝙡𝙖𝙮 𝙞𝙣 𝙗𝙚𝙙 𝙨𝙤 𝙗𝙡𝙪𝙚

𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙞 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙯𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙪𝙩𝙝

𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙘𝙖𝙣'𝙩 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙢𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

forty-five minutes later

"have you seen my mask??" i ask nini, who's leaned over the counter in the bathroom getting ready for the big dinner tonight. it's not a full masquerade dinner, just the workers have to wear them to keep up the theme.

"they're in here," nini says before i tighten my tie, walking into the bathroom. our eyes meet in the mirror as she applies her signature red lipstick to match her red mask and contrast the black silk minidress she's wearing (we were both told to come dressed tonight in black formal wear). her hair is down, the bright lighting showing off the normally subtle highlights in her long, chocolate curls.

"what?" she smiles, probably because i was definitely staring.

"you know what."

nini giggles, "no, i really don't."

i smile as i come up behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist tightly. i look at the two of us in the mirror for a second--admiring the fact that nini's in my arms--before burying my head into the crook of her neck and inhaling her recently applied perfume.

..

"i'm a little nervous for the ball," nini admits quietly after a few moments of silence.

i'm a little shocked, not because the next few days won't be nerve racking (because they most definitely will), but at the fact that nini's just willing the talk about her feelings out loud with me. the new nini doesn't really tend to do that out of context. maybe she's just more comfortable with me now??

"what exactly are you nervous about?" i tilt my head up, setting my chin on her shoulder and making eye contact with her in the mirror.

"i don't know. i guess e.j's kind of become..like, a friend to me? and so have the rest of the people we've been working with. i'm just really scared there's a chance we're gonna mess something up and end up letting them get hurt, or something. i mean, you heard those guys when we ran into them the other night. it's literally them against us."

"it'll be okay, nins. they wouldn't have sent us if they didn't think we could handle it--because we can. yeah, they're scary, but they don't know what we know. and they don't have our gear, or that fact that we're literally trained for this type of thing. and they don't have you. you're pretty awesome," i tell her, which makes her let out a little soft laugh.