14. somebody else

𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚢 (𝚒 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠)

𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚊𝚒𝚗'𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚊𝚜𝚝 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚒 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚏𝚊𝚌𝚎

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚢 (𝚒 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠)

𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚍 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎

== n i n i 's p o v ==

okay, you know what i said about moving ricky off of me later?

yeah, that didn't happen.

i didn't mean to fall asleep, i just kind of did? there's just something about the warmth and familiarity of being in his arms again that makes me never want to get out of them. we're laying on top of the comforter, everything from last night placed back in the hatbox. i guess when i fell asleep, ricky didn't move. because he knew there's a chance i'd wake up, and realize this is an awkward mistake. but strangely--

i don't feel that right now.

ricky's light snore combined with his happily content--even while he's sleeping--face makes me smile before i wrap my other arm around him, holding him tight. a few hours ago i was scared shitless that the people we're going against got him, or he somehow blew his cover. instead, his dumbass spent three hours buying me a piece of cheesecake. the old ricky would've never even thought to do something like that. or write me a song. or buy me groceries. or hold me when i'm--holy shit.

nini, you...i don't even know what to say. i told you so?!

you know, i'm not even mad. that's the thing. look, i promised myself i would be smart about this.

so, if he shows even just one red flag, i'll call it.

but i could get used to being this close to him every morning. the new him, i mean. i press my nose against his cheek, closing my eyes as i try to get some more sleep before we have to get back to work.

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

i awake to the feeling of nini holding me tighter on top of me, resting her head right next to mine. i don't register what it is is for a moment, having just woken up from probably the best sleep of my life. i can't help but smile when i see her grin with her eyes closed. i don't say anything,--despite the urge to call her pretty or gorgeous, which she very much is right now--because i can't risk messing this up again. i can't afford to.

nini presses her nose against my cheek as i bring my hands to the back of her waist, making sure she won't fall off if she moves. she has goosebumps on her arms, probably because of the cold and the fact that we aren't under a blanket. luckily, the spare cotton blanket is within arms reach. i carefully grab it and lay it over nini and i.

"mhm, thank you," she mumbles, still half asleep. i tilt my head down so our foreheads and noses are pressed together. nini opens her eyes and looks at me, the two of us just staring at each other. i don't want to say anything, because then i risk ruining the moment. what i really want is to close the gap between our faces, but i can't right now--i can't risk that either.

after a while of just looking at each other, i decide it's best to not do anything too rash. i guess my face didn't get the memo, because before i know it i'm peppering little quick kisses to the top of nini's head and part of her forehead.

"wait, is that too much?" i ask, pulling away when i realize what i've done.

"no, it's not," she tells me. i kiss her forehead one more time before snuggling back into her, finally feeling like i haven't fucked everything up for once. i forgot how much i loved the feeling of having basically my own little cuddly teddy bear as a girlfriend to snuggle with. well, i mean, she's not my girlfriend anymore,
but i don't think coworker would've been an appropriate word for that sentence. of course, our pagers choose this moment to set off their alarms.

== n i n i 's p o v ==

i groan as i groggily roll off of ricky and lean over to the nightstand, turning off our alarms. i don't roll back though, knowing if i do i'll stay there all day. i turn my head to give ricky a smile and a nod before getting out of bed and wandering over to the kitchen. i start to make breakfast, grabbing a bowl and a spoon and setting them on the counter. i go to grab a cereal box from the cabinet, but ricky comes up behind me, reaches up, and beats me to it.

"here you go."

i hum in response as i pour it into the bowl. he presses his chest to my back, putting his head in the crook of my neck.

"is that too much?" he asks softly, swaying us to the beat of the music from the old radio.

"no, but we need to get ready. and i want reese's puffs," i tell him with a smile, which makes him laugh before moving off of me and heading to the bathroom. i guess..i guess i kind of really feel happy right now, is all.

a few hours later -- the royal castle in paris, france

that didn't last long.