12. anyone else

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

meanwhile, back in ricky and nini's temporary living space

"it's jasmine," nini says under her breath, shutting the door on her way out.

i sigh, sinking down on the edge of the bed.

before i tried to kiss her, she was smiling. and laughing. we were actually having a good time! but of course, i just had to mess everything up. i wish i could just stop everything.

if i could, believe me, i would.

i would just stop thinking of nini, stop waiting for her to be ready, and just focus on someone else in a heartbeat. but when you feel this way about someone..you just, you don't stop. you just can't think about anyone else.

i eye my guitar from across the room, getting up and grabbing it. i take a seat back on the bed, strumming random chords that pop into my head. i think about what nini said a few minutes ago, replaying itself in my head.

"i just..need a second to think everything over."

"you say you've gotta think it over...i can't stop thinking of you," i sing, strumming the guitar, "is he the guy you want to hold ya? i'll be here when you..need me to." i smile, thinking about the other night.

"and now the days are getting longer, i'm caught daydreaming of you..i'm still waiting for my happy ever after--when you're ready, i'll be ready too."

== n i n i 's p o v ==

the royal castle in paris, france

after a few minutes of telling e.j what gina's into--which is information we both knew he would never need, because he's the prince--e.j opens the window back up for me to get inside. after crawling back in, i turn back at e.j with a confused look, because he's pulling his hood back over his face.

"where are you going?" i ask.

"it's only midnight, i've still got tons to do outside before they go looking for me," he says with a charming smile, starting to close the window.

"good luck with that, then," i chuckle, going over the the spilled cleaning supplies and putting them back into my work bag.

outside ricky and nini's house

after working the night shift--which was only two hours long, because not much happens in the castle at night--i ride home, exhausted. i stand behind the closed door searching around for my key when i hear a guitar playing inside. i furrow my brows and lean closer to it to listen.

"how'm i supposed to think about anything else? how am i to go on keeping this to myself? i'm done pretending i want anyone else, anyone else, anyone else," ricky sings strumming along on his guitar. is he singing about me?

"the world melts away when i'm with you..and i know you're afraid to jump too soon, oh." i smile to myself, leaning one side of my head against the closed door to hear it better--no one's ever written me a song before.

"but i promise if you would, i'd love you better than he ever could. girl we'd have it good, we'd have it good.."

wait--did he just..say he loved..no. what? no. i swallow hard and pick my bag back up, turning the key and opening the door.

"how'm i--" he stops singing when i walk through the door.

"hey," i say with a slight smile, setting my work bag down, "what are you doing up? it's like, two in the morning."