21. cruel summer

𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐚𝐢𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐝?

𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐠𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐰, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲

𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐥𝐮𝐞, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢'𝐯𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭

== n i n i 's p o v ==

the question lingers in the air, neither of us knowing what the answer is--or what we want it to be. ricky doesn't say anything, instead looking at me to answer myself.

"we're.." ricky starts.

"we're ricky and nini," i say, "there. solved."

"oh--yeah. we're..good though, right?"

"yup. totally, everything's good." i put my toothbrush in the holder.

"okay, good. cool."

"cool."

"great."

later that day, the royal castle

i stand in front of the open entrance to the ballroom with a cleaning cart, tasked with dusting off the doorway and polishing the floor in front of it for an upcoming event. i look up from the cart to see ricky and two other cleaners doing their job. i lift my hand and softly wave at him, the two of us exchanging looks and smiles. i bend down and pick up the duster from the bottom of the cart, coming back up to see the prince leaning on the other side.

"jesus! you scared me," i sigh out, putting a hand on my chest.

"yeah, well, i have news," e.j says, coming over to my side grabbing my shoulders from behind me. he leans down so our heads are leveled and points in front of us.

"what am i looking at??" i say, confused.

"look at the staircase!!" i do what he says, looking over at the grand staircase. there, gina can be seen talking to carlos (who keeps writing things down on his keyboard as she talks).

"i don't get it?"

"what, are you slow? i'm talking to gina!!" he takes his hands off of me, still leaning against the cleaning cart next to me.

"no, carlos is talking to gina--"

"yeah, but he's giving her a background check for me!!"

"e.j!" i laugh, "a background check? have you still not personally talked to her?"

"well, no, but you and your mystery guy--"

"mm, that's where you're wrong."

"oh my god, jasmine!" he laughs, "okay, okay, prince's orders; i'm gonna need details--and when i say details, i mean details--and possibly video, if you happened to have recorde--"

"ew, hell no! shut up! i mean..i couldn't tell you even if i wanted to, i genuinely don't remember it," i say, which makes e.j burst into laughter again.

"the fuck do you mean, you don't remember it?! was it that bad??"

"no, not at all!! apparently it was the opposite, his back--"

e.j gags, "that's disgusting, continue."

"but i had the worst hangover this morning, not to mention how awkward it was," i tell him.