0.5

At the bonfire gladers gather round, some eating fruits or bread, a few drinking Zart's shitty drink, most of us just talking. I'm sitting on a log with Newt on one side of me and the Greenie on the other, Minho leaning against the log on the right side of my feet and Winston on the side of the log next to Newt. "So what exactly is this place? I mean I get that it's 'the glade' and all but I don't completely understand like I heard people talking about jobs?" He stumbles over his words a little awkwardly and I can't help but smile.

"We really don't know exactly what the glade is but as for the jobs, we all have certain responsibilities. We can't just sit on our asses all day now can we?" I ask softly elbowing him in his side, he smiles a little. "For example, our lovely Newt here works in the gardens, Frypan cooks, Winston slaughters the animals, and I fix you idiots up when you hurt yourselves because you're bound to at some point." I start explaining the jobs.

"So what do you think I'll do?" He asks, "I was thinking heavy labor, trackhoe style. I just see it. Don't you Newtie?" I ask leaning back as if to get a better look at him. "I don't see it. He could be runner though. Pretty long legs, must be fast." Winston interjects. I whip around to the slicer. "No. You know how dangerous that is." I say reaching to slap the back of his head.

"What's a runner?" The Greenie asks curiosity sparking in his eyes. "See these walls?" I ask gesturing my arm all around us. He nods quizzically, "listen." I say going quiet as a griever shrieks. "What the hell is that?" he asks looking horrified. "That my friend...is griever." Newt says taking a bite of his fruit. "Okay, that explains nothing." He says with a still confused and fearful face.

"Basically if you see one you'll end up being eaten by it...assuming that's what they do to you, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell the tale. They only come out at night as far as we know and nothing can get over the walls so we're safe here. The runners are the ones who go in every morning and map the place out to try and find a way to escape." I explain to my best ability. He looks unsure but nods anyways. "Okay.." He trails off, unsure of what to say. "So, yeah. You're not allowed to be a runner." I say with a small smile, knocking my shoulder into his, or rather, into his bicep.

    Over the next week the greenie found his name is Gally and his job is now to build huts for shit. I don't really understand it but Alby thinks it'll be a good idea to have a council of some sort. "One person from all of the jobs will be in it along with Athena." Alby had addressed everyone at the bonfire last night. I had also decided I will just go by Athena instead of dwelling over could be names.

    "Hey, Athena!"  Gally basically skips over to me with a jar in his hand. I laugh a little "what's up?" He hands me the jar with no context at all  "drink." is all I get. "Drink?" I ask opening the jar, albeit a little scared. "Yes! Now go." He says unscrewing the lid the rest of the way. "Okay okay!" I chuckle tipping the liquid into my mouth. It's really salty and tangy I don't know how he made it both or how he even made the drink itself but that's okay.

"It's great!" I say swallowing it with a slight wince. It isn't a total lie, the drink itself is actually okay tasting. He raises one of his eyebrows at me skeptically. "Okay, it's good! I like it I do it's missing something though." I say taking another drink. He laughs and we walk the rest of the way to the hut in the wood. It's kind of become our space, away from everyone else. "So the box should be coming up soon right?" He asks plopping himself down next to me. "Yeah, I think so." I say taking out my dagger and tossing it in the air.

He scoots a away a little and nods. "Okay so will I be the one giving the tour like you did for me?" He asks sounding nervous. "I'm not sure I mean I just gave you the tour because you had a cut on your leg." I say turning the knife around my fingers. "You should probably just ask Alby since I didn't really get a proper tour."

He nods looking a bit uncomfortable with the thought. "Y'know..." he starts, looking at me with the i-want-a-favor eyes. "I'm not doing it for you!" I say before he can even ask. "But- why?" He asks like a toddler who didn't get to have his favorite candy after dinner. "Because you need to talk people other than me and Frypan." I shake my head trying not to laugh at his childishness. "But I'm great with just you two! Who the shuck needs more than three people?" He whines. "Just give the Greenie the damned tour. Hell, I'll even do it with you." I say rolling my eyes, a smile still playing my lips. "Thank you." He says his shoulders relaxing a little. "You're an idiot." I mutter, not bothering to fight the smile on my lips. "But I'm your idiot." He replies with a smile. I nod with a small laugh, leaning my head on his shoulder. "That you are." I mumble in return.

The next morning everyone went to work while Gally, Fry, and I hung out in the kitchen, Gally extending the small room a few square feet or some shit, I'm honestly oblivious to building things. "Do you think the next greenie will be another girl?" Fry asks with a suggestive look in his eye. "I fucking hope so I've only been here two months and I'm losing my mind." I chuckle looking to Gally. His back is turned to us, shirt clinging to his back muscles as they flex with his movements.

"You've got a bit of drool on your chin." Frypan whispers over my shoulder. I turn around and slap his forehead. "And you had a fly, Fry." I say with a small polite smile. "You're so gonna pay for that, Doc. Don't forget who cooks your food." He warns with a devious glint in his eye. "Tamper with my food and I'll make sure Jack stays out sick for at least a month the next time he gets even a slight sinus infection." I threaten. He throws his hands up in surrender. "You win. You win. Don't take me cook away from me." He jokingly pleads, clasping his hands in front of himself.