FORTY-ONE. family matters

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

It was the first day of rehearsals for A-Troupe and the team was already met with a surprise. East stood in the front row between Richelle and Piper, a confused frown on her face upon seeing one of the cut dancers standing with Emily and Daniel before her. She didn't know the brunette boy's name, but she was confused as to why he was standing there and where Michelle was.

"Alright, everybody, first and foremost, I would like to welcome Josh as the twelfth member of our team," Emily said, gesturing to the boy in question. Despite her confusion about Michelle supposedly leaving the team, East applauded along with her teammates. "Please take your spot." Josh took his spot at the back as everyone turned their attention back to Emily. "You guys have proven to be the best of the best and we are going to prove it this year. I want you to remember that there are many other people who are vying for your spot and, not only that, but coming for us as a team. We will take Regionals. We will take Nationals. And then we will take Internationals. Live as a team, die as a team, but always a team."

. . .

Right now, A-Troupe was practicing the recent routine Daniel just taught them. Daniel was making them repeat the same section of the routine since they started. Honestly, East didn't know why they were repeating the choreo, 'cause it was annoying. However, she didn't say anything, not wanting to get on Daniel's or even Emily's bad side.

As she, Richelle, and Piper repeated their section, Daniel commended her and Richelle on doing the choreography well. However, it was clear that Piper was struggling, especially with the acro part of the choreo. East and Richelle moved to the side, but Daniel wanted Piper to attempt the choreo again with the next group. Unfortunately for Piper, the same result happened and she failed to perform her front walkover well.

"Stop, stop, stop," Daniel stopped the dancers' movement as he turned the music off and approached Piper. "Okay, why's that a cartwheel? It's a front walkover. What's going on with your tumbling? Are you working on your front?"

"Yeah, yeah," Piper assured him, though East could tell she was nervous about being put on the spot. "I'm working on it."

"Do you have it yet?"

"Soon."

"When's that?"

"I-I'm going and practicing all the time. Yeah."

"Okay."

Piper rejoined her teammates at the sidelines who watched the others perform the choreography. East approached Piper's side, giving her an encouraging nudge.