FORTY-SIX. top of the world

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The tension in Studio A was thick and East felt it as she stretched with her teammates. On one side of the studio was TNS West and on the other side was TNS East. The whole situation reminded East of when Elite and The Next Step had to merge. However, this time was different. After today, only one team would represent The Next Step at Regionals. As much as she wanted to go to Regionals, she hated that to do so she had to dance against her friends.

Speaking of friends, Noah had left TNS East and joined TNS West for reasons East had yet to know. She was quite shocked when Emily told the team this, but she had a surprise up her sleeve that would give TNS East the edge in the competition. Dancing for TNS East today would be East, Amy, Richelle, Jacquie, and the newest member of TNS East, Elliot. East had no idea where Emily got Elliot on such short notice, but he was an incredible dancer. Apparently, he was on TNS West but Michelle kicked him off. East wondered why Michelle would kick off a dancer as great as Elliot.

"East!" Kai's voice caused East to snap her head to him with wide eyes. She didn't even notice that he was now sitting beside her, concern washed over his face. "Dude, I called you, like, three times."

"Sorry, I was distracted," East revealed with a sigh. Today's competition was making her anxious. The stakes were so high and she was in this dance, so she didn't want to mess up.

"Yeah, I noticed. You nervous?"

"Kinda. A lot is riding on this dance. Plus, when this is all over and the winner is announced, it will change everything."

"Yeah, never thought of that," Kai replied. His eyes went over to someone else before he looked back to East. "What do you think of the new guy?"

"Elliot? I don't know. I haven't spoken to him. He's a good dancer."

"I just wished he didn't come so I could be dancing with you guys," Kai admitted. "I mean, I thought Emily would consider me. I've been dancing at TNS for so long and with Noah gone, I'm one of the best male dancers on our team. I thought I could make my mark but it just sucks."

"Yeah, I'm sorry," East said, giving Kai an apologetic look. "That doesn't make you any less of a great dancer. You know Emily. She has her own procedure so everything is—"

"Perfect." Kai huffed.

Miss Kate, Riley, and James stepped into the studio, causing everyone to stop what they were doing and turn their attention to them. East stood from the floor with Kai and waited for what the three were going to say. She knew Miss Kate was judging the competition, but she didn't know Riley and James were coming along.

"Alright, dancers. Here we go," Miss Kate spoke to the two teams before her. "I have brought in James and Riley to help me judge this competition. Each team will perform their routine and from there, we will decide the winner that is going to go to Regionals. Are you guys ready?"

"Yes!" Everyone responded.

"Good!"

The first team up was TNS West. Dancing to Fist Pumps was Noah, Ozzy, Piper, Henry, and Heather. Watching their routine, a smile grew on East as she grooved along to the music. She couldn't help it, despite TNS West being her completion. Their dance was really good and everyone looked like they were having fun. However, she stopped grooving along to their dance when she received pointed looks from her teammates, mainly Emily and Richelle.

Once TNS West finished, the dancers of TNS East took the floor. Compared to their routine, TNS East's routine had a more serious vibe. Dancing for the team was East, Richelle, Jacquie, Amy, and Elliot and they were dancing to Top of the World. As East danced with her team, she felt her nerves slowly fade away. She always found herself being distracted by dancing to even worry about the outcome. After all, she did enjoy the challenging choreography. Her team's dance showed a lot of technique and was strong, so the chances of TNS East winning were also high too. East was dancing her hardest. She wanted to go to Regionals, especially since she was injured and couldn't help the team last year. So maybe this year would be different.

Upon finishing, TNS East rejoiced with the rest of their team. Now that the competition portion was over, it was the tense waiting game. East kept pacing back and forth, waiting for Riley, Miss Kate and James to be done in the office so they could tell them who was going to Regionals... and which team would have to disband.

"Would you stop pacing?" Kai asked East as he grabbed her shoulders, causing her to stop before him. "You're making me dizzy."

"They're taking so long," East stated with a nervous frown. "Why are they taking so long?"

"Because it's a tough decision to make. Any team could win. Just relax, okay?"

"I make no promises."

Thus East continued with her pacing, causing Kai to throw his hands up in disbelief. As grateful as East was for Kai's assurance, she was still worried. TNS West's routine was really good. It showed creativity and individuality and it was generally an upbeat vibe. TNS East's routine, however, was more attentive on technique and being clean and focused during the dance. Either team had a high chance of winning. Finally, putting East's pacing to a stop and gaining everyone's attention were the three people everyone was waiting on. East stood with her teammates as Miss Kate, Riley and James made their way to stand between the two teams. It was now or never.

"We have thought long and hard. Both teams were absolutely incredible, but unfortunately, only one can go to Regionals," Miss Kate said to the respective teams. "So we have chosen... TNS East!"

The members of TNS East let out cheers as they erupted in joy. East grinned widely as she got pulled into a hug with Kai. TNS East huddled together, cheering out their delights. During this, East couldn't help but look over to TNS West, her smile fading a bit. All the dancers, all her friends, looked so upset. Maybe some victories weren't so sweet after all.

. . .

it annoyed me how tns east were rubbing their win in tns west's faces but oh well. i'm curious to know which routine you guys liked more? tns west or tns east?

please don't be a ghost reader :(
vote, comment & share!💓