Chapter 34: Soon

Chapter 34:

I wake up, not quite sure how long I was asleep. The first thing I notice is that I'm feeling better, stronger. My vision is no longer blurry and I can see the room I'm in.

It's similar to a room you might find in a hospital. Grey walls, white lights, and a small bed which I'm laying on.

I sit up slowly, cautiously, as to not cause myself any pain that might happen if I got up too fast. Swinging my legs of the side of the bed, I sit there. It's quiet except for the faint buzzing of the lights and an occasional beep from a machine.

The door opens and a woman steps in. I move back slightly.

"Kamela," she says,closing the door. "I know you probably have a lot of questions, but they will have to wait. I can promise you though, that they will be answered."

"When?" I say, finally regaining my voice.

"Soon." she unhooks some wires that attached me to some machines and grabs a sweatshirt from a chair. "Here, put this on."

I grab it and put it on over the oversized t-shirt I'm wearing.

"I'd like to apologize for the short supply of clothing in your size." she says. "You'll get new things soon."

She opens the door. "Come with me."

I hesitate, then slide of the bed. I lose my balance at first and she has to help me steady myself. She holds my arm to help my balance as we walk down the hallway. We pass doors, some opened to see rooms that looks similar to the one I was in, others are closed.

We take a left down another hallway then walk through a set of double doors into a bigger room, which I assume is a lobby. If I had to guess where I was I would think it's an old hospital. We pass through the lobby into a bigger, wider hallway. On our way we don't pass by any people. Taking a left here and a right, we enter a room with a two long tables and one short one placed together in a 'U' shape, with desk chairs around the outside. In the far middle chair is a familiar face. He's one of the boys that was in the room where I first woke up. Sitting next to him is the girl.
They stop their conversation and look at me. I don't move forward once I enter the room. The woman leaves the room and closes the door behind her.

I'm standing in front of them in only an oversized t-shirt and the zip-up sweatshirt the woman gave me. They seem to notice I'm freezing.

"You look cold." the girl says. "I'll go get you some warmer clothes." she gets up and goes out the door behind her.

I still don't move.

"Kamela, right?" The boy asks. He couldn't be much older than me if he is. "I'm Luke."

I don't respond.

"I know this is-"

"A lot to take in?" I cut him off. "I know."

"Okay." he says. "Any questions?"

"Where am I?" I say. "Who are you?"

"Like I said before, my name is Luke. I was in the arena with you. We're obviously not in there anymore. This used to be a hospital, well it still is, but it's only used for specific purposes." he motions me over. "Why don't you come take a seat."

I walk over slowly and sit in a chair one away from him. He leans on the back of his chair then continues speaking.

"You had quite a hard fall in the arena. I'm sorry about that, it's partly my fault."

"How was it your fault?" I ask

"I was trying to find you both, not hurt either one of you. You took it as me trying to kill you, I assume."