Chapter 2: A Path

Chapter 2:

I finally catch up to Miya, staying a good distance away, so that she doesn't see me. We're just outside of the Victors Village. What is she doing? She walks over to the gate and heads behind a building, right outside the gate. I follow.

We walk all the way around to the back of the Victors Village. Behind it there's a fence that separates district boundaries.

This fence wasn't always here, about a year ago they added on the the Victors Village, giving the victors more yard space. When they were doing that they added the fence, it's not illegal to go beyond the fence, but there is another fence further back that you can't go beyond. It's an electric fence that's rarely ever on anymore. I don't know if it was always like that or not.

I go behind the first fence, following Miya, but still keeping my distance. We go into a forest and walk a bit, until she turns left and starts running. What!? How is she going to fast? It's hard enough to walk through the forest with all the roots and bushes and plants. I get to where she turned and I found out. There's a path. It's not seen right away, but if you go past a couple trees, you see it.

I run down the path trying to see if I can find her. She could've turned somewhere and didn't see that. Hoping that she didn't get off the path, I keep running.

The path ends and she's not here. I look around, go back up the path to see if there were any turns that I might have missed. But I don't see any. I listen for footsteps, but all I hear are birds chirping, a woodpecker, a mockingjay. I hear a squirrel climb through the trees.

But I don't hear Miya.

Crack!

I turn around and don't see anything.

Crack!

I sounds like a branch breaking.

Crack!

I look around. What is that?

Crack! Crack!

I look to my right and I'm glad I do, because I hear one last crack before a huge tree comes falling right on top of me.

I jump out of the way right before it lands on me. The back of my leg stings. I look down and it's all scratched up. It's a little bloody, but ill be okay. The tree must have hit it when I moved out of the way.

Now I just need to find Miya.