Chapter 6: Little Beach

Chapter 6:

I wake up and see the sun light up the house. It looks so different than it did last night. It's bigger than I thought, there's a kitchen and dining area, which are both small, over by the windows on the other side of the house. The the only door that I see is the one on the side opposite from the kitchen. The fireplace is in the wall I'm facing, on the right side of the door when you walk in. There are two chairs and a couch in front of the fireplace. There's also a chair by the bed that I'm sitting on. The closet is behind me to my right.

I get up and go over by the couch. Huh, I can walk. My leg doesn't even feel sore. Whatever the Capitol gave him works really well. I try to find the cut on my forehead, but I don't feel it there. I'll have to look in a mirror later.

Talon's not on the couch. Where is he?

I look in the kitchen, he's not there. He's not in the house at all.

I go over by the closet, I see a mirror. The mirror is on the wall next to the closet, it's a full length mirror. I walk in front of it. I have on black pants, that have dirt and grass stains and have been ripped up from falling and tripping yesterday. I have my gray t-shirt which is torn at the bottom. My hair is messy and in knots. I finger-comb through it. My face, hands, and neck have spots of dirt here and there. My hands are scratched, but not too bad. I have a cut on my lip and a bruise on the side of my chin. My cut on my forehead is just a small scar now. My legs are scratched, just a little where the holes and rips are in my pants. I have a scratch on my arm and a bruise on my shoulder.

I look behind me. My jacket, boots, and gloves are on the ground next to the bed. The jacket is torn and covered with spots of dirt. The gloves are ripped and dirty too. My boots are scuffed and muddy, but they're still fine.

I look down at my knee, which still has the bandage on it. I leave it wrapped up, afraid that it's not gonna heal if I take off the bandage too soon.

Talon's still not here. I wonder where he went. I go outside and look around. The forest is so beautiful. The leaves are changing color, falling down to the ground and blowing with the wind. You can hear the mockingjays really well. Their voices are so pretty. I sing a simple melody and they sing back and forth between each other.

I head towards the clearing with the pond. It's further away than I remember, but I get there. The water is so peaceful and pretty. There is a small beach by the pond and I sit down near there. I move closer to the water and stick my feet in. The cold water feels good for some reason, even though it's cold outside, with a cool breeze.

I realize then that I didn't even think to bring my jacket or shoes, not even my gloves. Oh well.

I lay back on the tiny beach, leaves by my hair, toes in the water. Mockingjays singing the melody I sang earlier. I don't think I've ever felt more peaceful and happy. I wish I could go here everyday. It's better than the field where I go when I need a break.

Next thing I know I'm dozing off on the little beach.