Chapter 13: A New Beginning

Chapter 13:

The next day there is an announcement. All districts are required to come to their town square at noon today, you will be notified if you do not need to attend.

There are certain people in the districts that are physically or mentally unable to attend anything. They are notified along with one caretaker that they do not need to attend.

So at noon, everyone meets in the town square. This is where the reapings were held years ago.

Everyone is in the town by noon. The announcements don't start until about 12:30 though.

The mayor comes out onto the stage. He taps the mic and then speaks.

"District 12. I thank you all for attending. There will be a change, a drastic change in Panem. I apologize for not being able to prepare you." He says.

Prepare us? A drastic change? What is going on? A billion thoughts are racing through my mind.

"Instead of explaining all of this to you, I will show you a video. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol." He continues. "Please draw your attention to the screen." He motions to the giant screen to the side of him.

A video starts to play. The first thing you see is the Capitol Seal and the anthem playing in the background.

A deep voice talks throughout the rest of the video.

"We all know of the Dark Days. We all know of what came because of them. We all know the pain, suffering, and loss people have endured."

The video is showing small clips of what happened as the voice continues speaking.

"We brought forth the Hunger Games." He says as the video shows clips from the past games. "We used them to control you. But you broke into rebellion once again."

Now you see video of the victors escaping the 75th Hunger Games. Along with the rebellion going on in the districts.

"We negotiated with you, we gave you peace. We gave you privileges. We helped you, took care of you."

It's true, things have been so much better than they were before.

"But we sense a new rebellion."

What? A rebellion? Why? Everything is going fine! What is going on?

"And we need to control it before it spreads. Panem cannot afford another war. It will destroy us all."

Where is he going with this?

"We have thought long and hard about this decision, and we think it's for the best. We need a new beginning, it's for the best."

Who is the 'we' he's talking about? A new beginning?

"Our decision is final. The best way to control Panem is the way we've done it for years."

Oh no, this cannot be good.

"The twelve districts of Panem will be participating in the Hunger Games."

What? What did he say? It takes my mind a while to figure out.

"Further rules and explanations will be giving by a district official."

I know now what he meant. No. No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

The Hunger Games are back.