Chapter 15: Just Cry

Chapter 15:

Talon comes with me to my house after the announcements.

We go upstairs to my room. Talon goes and sits down in a chair, I come in and shut the door behind me. A tear goes down my check. Talon must know something is really bugging me. He stands up. I run over to him and hug him.

"Kamela.." He cuts off.

I break down crying.

"Talon..." I say through tears. "What...what if it's you........or...or me."

"The odds are low," he says

"Yeah, that's what they always say." I cry some more. "And....and then they get picked."

"I would..." I cut him off.

"No Talon," I say sobbing. "You couldn't do anything if I got picked."

I cry some more.

"And....and I couldn't do anything if you got picked." I sob. "There's no volunteering."

I put my face on his chest. He starts to rub my back.

"Kamela. I will do everything I can to make you safe." He says.

I look up at him.

"Come here." He says, walking over to my bed.

I walk over to him and lay down next to him on the bed. He holds me close. I can feel his heartbeat. I feel so safe with him. I don't want to leave, I don't want to go to the reaping.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he asks.

I shake my head. "No, not now."

"Okay," He says. He pauses. "I love you."

"I love you too." I say. I start crying again. "Why did they do this? Why....why did they bring the games back? What did we do?"

"I don't know." he says "They said it was because we were about to rebel, but I don't know why we would."

"I know." I say, trying to hold in tears. "I...I"

"You what?" he says calmly.

"I'll never feel safe now." I lose it and start crying.

I turn so I'm facing Talon and hug him. I feel safer with him, but not ever completely safe. I never will, now that the games are back.

I don't know why I'm making such a big deal about this. It's effected all of us, but I don't know why it effected me so much. I'm screwed if I go into the games, I'm not going to be able to take it, I'll just break down and die in the bloodbath. Let someone kill me.

I wouldn't want to die though. I just couldn't fight, couldn't do anything. I can't even do anything right now except cry. I don't move, don't talk. I just let Talon hold me, occasionally rub my back.

I cry until I can't cry anymore. It's dark out now. I must have been crying for hours. It feels like only a few minutes.

I know that Talon is going to have to go home soon. But I don't want him to go home, ever. I want him to stay here, holding me.

I don't let him go, and I fall asleep.