Chapter 21: Trust

Chapter 21:

I wake up, turn and look at the clock on the bedside table. It reads 9:16. Crap! I'm gonna be late!

I jump out of bed and head to my bathroom. I stop and look around. It's like any other bathroom, except the Capitol took over. High-tech shower with a million knobs and buttons, different soaps, shampoos, scents.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" A voice says.

I turn around. It's an avox.

"Oh, um." I turn and look around at the shower. "Yeah, can you show me how to work this?" I say motioning to the shower.

"Yes, I can show you how to use it." She says.

"Thank you." I reply.

She shows me how to use the shower and what to use for shampoo, body wash, soap, and anything else I needed help with.

"Is there anything else you need help with?" She asks.

"No, I'm good. Thanks." I say. "Wait. What is your name?" I ask.

"I'm just an avox." She replies.

"They still call you avoxes?" I ask.

"Yes, but they treat us better. We are allowed to speak when necessary." She replies.

"Oh." I say. "But can you please tell me your name."

"It's not necessary for me to have a name." She says.

"So you don't have a name?" I ask.

"No, I have one." She says leaving.

I sigh and take a shower. The water is set to the perfect temperature. I wash my hair and body. And then I get out, get a towel, the softest towel ever, and dry off. I put lotion on and brush my teeth. They have makeup here, but I never really use it at home, except for special occasions. So I decide to skip it. I brush out my hair and put it up out of my face.

I go into my room on the train and pick out an outfit for today. I end up with a dark blue long-sleeved shirt and black pants. I leave my boots in my room and go to the first car.

It's already 10:00 so I stop to get a muffin before I go and meet Cronin.

"Cronin?" I say, walking into the first car.

"Hi Kamela." He says. "Glad you could finally make it."

"I'm sorry I'm late." I say.

"No need to apologize. I figured you were going to be late." He says. "Had trouble falling asleep?"

"Yeah, I guess." I say.

"Worried about the next couple weeks, not surprising." He motions to a chair. "Here, have a seat."

I sit down in the chair. I look out the window and see nothing but grass.

"Where are we?" I ask.

He turns around and looks out the window. "Oh, I assume we have just passed district 9."

"Oh." I say.

"So, I thought that if we are going to be together for a while, I might as well get to know you. So," He says leaning back in his chair. "tell me a something about you."

"My name's Kamela." I say.

"Funny," he says. "how about you tell me something I don't know about you."

"I don't know, what do you know about me?"

"That you live in district 12, your name, your family, a few of your friends, not very much." He says.

"Oh." I say.

"Look, I know your nervous, maybe even scared, and these questions may seem pointless, but I know what I'm doing." he says. "I'm here to make sure that you survive. That you win the Games. And to help you do that, I'm gonna have to train you, and to do that I'm gonna need you to trust me. You trust the people you know, right?"

"Yes." I say.

"Then if we know each other, instead of being strangers, maybe you might trust me a little more." he looks at me and then sighs. "I'm just trying to make this easier."

We sit in silence for a while.

"My favorite color is blue. I am terrified about the Games. I love my family, I've always wanted to see the other districts, and I'm happy that I got chosen instead of my siblings." I pause. "If my brother got chosen I would've found a way to volunteer, somehow."

Cronin looks at me, saying nothing. After a little bit he asks me a question.

"Why?" He says.

"Why, what?" I ask.

"Your brother, why would you volunteer for him?" he asks me.

"I love him, and I, I know that I would have a better chance." I look down at my hands. "I'm not saying he would never have a chance, he just needs more experience."

"With what?" Cronin asks.

"Hunting, survival, things like that." I respond.

"I see, and you have experience with that?" he asks.

"A little, I guess." I say.

"With weapons?"

"A little."

"Good. This will help with your training."

He gets up from his chair.

"That's all for now, meet me back in here after lunch." he says.

"Okay." I say.

He leaves the room. I just sit there, playing with my bracelet. After a couple minutes an avox comes in, re-arranges a few things and then walks out without even looking at me.

I get up and go over the train window. I just look out the window for a while. I hear the door open and turn around, it's Ariel. She walks over, and pulls up two chairs.

"Why don't you sit down." she says pushing a chair over to me.

We both sit down.

"How long have you been in here?" she asks.

"I don't know," I say. "a while."

"Have you left the room since you talked to Cronin?"

"No." I say.

"Are you hungry?" she asks.

"No. I'm okay." I say.

"Alright." She looks glances down. "If you ever need anything, just let us know, okay?"

"I will." I say.

She gets up.

"If you ever need to talk," she says. "I'll always be here."

She walks out the door.

Are all escorts this caring? It just seems as though Ariel cares so much, and Cronin a little bit too. This is nothing like I expected.

But I do need to talk to someone, I've been keeping it all in since reaping day.

I am so worried about Talon, how is he going to react when he finds out that I'm not in district 12 with him and my family once the games start? What will he do if I die? What will the competition be like? Will they all be experienced killers? How old will they be? How tall? How many girls? How many guys? Will I have a chance to win? To live? To come home?

I need to talk to Ariel.