Chapter 12: New Home

Chapter 12:

It's been three years since I met Talon. We've been dating for about two and a half years. I like him, a lot.

He still lives in his house by the pond. I go and visit him often and he visits me.

My family has been close with the mayor's family for a long time. Because of that, I asked the mayor to help Talon with his house.

Workers from the Capitol have been working on Talons house lately. They are working on getting him electricity, heating and cooling, better furniture, and they are adding on a room or two to the house.

They also gave Talon an amount of land. That way he can live there as long as he wants, and if he wants to, he can add on to his house, build something else, whatever he wants. It just has to stay within district 12 law.

I'm so happy for him. He's excited too.

Talon's house is finally complete a few months later. You walk in the front door and the first thing you see is the living room, same as before, but with better furniture. Across the house is the kitchen and the dining room, same as before, but it's a little bigger and some new appliances have been added to the kitchen.

The space where the bed used to be is now a closet. They added walls surrounding where the bed used to be. It's a good sized walk-in closet. His clothes are on one side and it's empty on the other side, except for a couple blankets and some pillows on the shelves.

You walk through the door that used to go to the closet, and enter his room. It's about the size of the living room and the dining room combined. He has a new bed, bigger and so much softer than the last one. The windows on the wall across from the bed let the light shine in. There is a window seat below those windows. Most of the room is plain, letting Talon decide how to decorate.

I sit down on the window seat and Talon sits next to me.

"Do you like it?" I ask.

He looks at me then around the room. He looks back at me.

"I love it." He says. "Thank you."

I smile and hug him.

"I'm glad you like it." I say still hugging him.

"Here," He says getting up. "I'm getting hungry. What would you like for lunch?"

"I don't know." I say. "Whatcha got?"

We walk over to the kitchen. The kitchen is now twice the size that it was before. It's fully equipped with a fridge full of food, a stove, microwave, dishwasher, and there is plenty of storage for forks, spoons, knives, bowls, plates, pans, pots, and anything else you may need to cook or make something.

Over on the counter there are four books next to each other. Recipe books. He flips through one and I see so many Capitol creations.

Behind me there is a pantry, I open the door and walk inside. It's filled with any food you could think of.

There's a bulletin board by the door, with a note on it.

'Talon, I hope you enjoy your new home. We were glad to help. You will be restocked with food every month. I will personally make sure that you will never run out of food, just please ration it wisely. If you are wondering who will supply you with all of this, his name is below. Let us know if you need anything.

-The Capitol'

Then at the bottom there is contact information, and then a name.

Zander

I walk over to Talon.

"Who's Zander?" I ask

"What?" He asks. "Where did you hear that?"

I give him the note as my answer. He starts to read it.

"Zander is my brother." He says.

"He moved to district 2, right?" I ask.

"Yeah, he did." He says confused.

"What?"

"What?" He asks.

"You look confused."

"Yeah, I'm wondering how he did this."

"Maybe he has a special connection with the Capitol." I say.

He goes and grabs his phone and dials a number. He goes to the living room. I stay in the kitchen. I hear him talking into the phone. I can't pick up everything he's saying, but I don't try. If he wants me to know what he's saying, he'll let me know. So I just wait in the kitchen until he's done talking.

He walks back in here and puts the phone back.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"Zander." He says. And then he tells me the whole story.

His brother got a job in district 2 that causes him to go to the Capitol often. While he was there he heard about Talon, and knew that he had to help. He gives part of his pay from the job to Talon. Indirectly though, the Capitol workers in charge of giving Talon food and stuff take the money and use it to pay for the food and things Talon gets from them.

"That's good." I say.

"Yeah, it is." He says smiling.

I smile back.

"So," he says. "What's for lunch?"

I grab out a cookbook and look through the recipes. They look so good! There's anything you could imagine and then there are two more books. I eventually find something and we grab the ingredients to make it. Talon is an amazing cook, he must get it from his mom, saying that she was the best cook ever.

At this point it seems as though everything is perfect. It seems too good to be true. I really hope something doesn't mess this up.