Chapter 38: A Hallway

Chapter 38:

There are clocks in almost every room here, most of them are still working, so it's not difficult to figure out how long it's been since they left.

Every five minutes or so I go over and try to wake up Luke.
I'll have to somehow figure out a way to get him to the room down the hall in the next half hour. I'm hoping he wakes up before I have to resort to try and carry him, which I know I won't be able to do easily.

"C'mon Luke, I need your help."

He continues to sit there motionless, only his chest moving slightly with every breath.

"Luke." I try to shake him awake. "Luke."

I sigh and sit down across from him.
Maybe they'll come back and I won't need to carry him to the room. Besides, there's really no need for us to move.

All of a sudden I hear gunshots and realize I've spoken too soon.

No wonder Talon told me we'd meet in the room, it's so much safer, and from what we've seen, the guards from the Capitol have already searched down that hallway.

I go over to Luke and try to wake him again.

"Luke."

I hear the gunshots again, this time I hear faint footsteps as well.

Crap. I need to move fast.

"Luke, we need to go, now."

I move faster now, with the sounds getting closer.
I lift his arm over my shoulder and use all my strength to try to get him up.
I half carry, half drag him a few feet before I'm too weak to go on.

This is much harder than I thought.

I try one last time to wake up Luke. Even if he can't stand on his own, it'll be much easier to carry him awake than limp.

"Luke, C'mon I really need you to wake up." I whisper, hoping no one will hear me. "Please, Luke. Wake up!"

I realize this is just taking too much time and I need to keep moving. I just need to make it down the hall.

I pull him up so that he's leaning on the back of my shoulder and I wrap his arms around me. I use all my strength to go as fast as I can down the hallway.

About halfway down the hallway, I hear a small cough. Turning my head, I see Luke's eyes flutter open.

Immediately I carefully set him down.

"Luke, oh, you're okay."

"What?" Luke says quietly, his voice hoarse.

"No time for questions, we just need to get you to that room as quickly and quietly and possible." I say, pointing to the room at the end of the hallway.

Gunshots are heard again, and Luke takes that as a sign to get up.

I help him to his feet and we walk as fast as we can to the room.

The footsteps are now easily heard, and I faintly hear a voice.

After what seems like forever, we get to the room and quietly shut the door after setting Luke down.

We sit quietly against the wall, listening to whoever is passing the hallway.

After we hear they're gone, I look at Luke as I slowly put my finger against my lips, telling him to be quiet. I turn slowly, and open the door just enough for me to peak through.

There's no sign of anyone. I sit back down, with a huge sigh of relief.

The clock in this room is hanging off the wall a bit, but it still works, telling me that Talon and the others should be back any minute now.

I take this time to explain to Luke what has happened and where Talon, Hunter, and the girl are.

Luke just nods.

I hear more footsteps and realize they must be back.
Suddenly the door swings open and three people walk through the door.
And it's not them.