Leaving Already?

The next morning finds me standing in front of the Jaeger residence with four eyes. Our car is waiting outside the gate, ready to head towards Stohess as soon as we're done saying goodbyes.

"Hey Levi", they whisper to me as we wait for someone to get the door. "It's March 30, you know."

"Yeah. So what?"

"So make sure you wish Eren a very happy birthday!"

"Huh?! What–" I'm interrupted by the sound of the door opening and when I look ahead, there is Carla standing in front of us. Hange wastes no time in running ahead and giving her a hug, which she returns with a smile. "How've you been doing?" they ask in a concerned voice.

She smiles in reply. "Coping. Or trying to, I guess."

"You strong woman!" Hange grins and pats her back. "You'll be fine. Don't worry about a thing!"

She sighs, still smiling. Then turns to look at me. "Come on in Levi."

"Whaaat?! Asking Levi, but not me?!" Hange feigns hurt. "You're cruel Carla!"

I roll my eyes. "Quit acting like you won't barge in even if she tells you not to."

They grin. "That I will."

Well, Carla looks better than yesterday. That's good. When I met her with her after arriving, she was a mess. Sitting stone-faced in her bed with tears streaming down her face. When I called her name, she looked up at me, but her mind seemed far away. I looked to my side, where Eren was standing. And it hurt to see him so scared and helpless.

What could I do in this situation? Carla needed someone to be by her side and lend her their strength. Someone who cared deeply about her. And thankfully, I didn't have to wait. Hange burst into the room with Armin and took charge. They strolled over to Carla and held her in their arms, whispering softly. And soon after that, the distant look in her eyes slowly started to fade away.

//Flashback//

"Hange?"

"Yeah."

As she slowly untangles herself from Hange and sits up straight, it seems she's regained her senses.

"When–" she clears her throat, sore from crying for so long. "When did you come?"

"Just a while ago", they reply quietly. "Levi's here too."

At that, she seems to finally notice the rest of us. "Ah! Levi, Armin", she tries to get up. "I'm so sorry I didn't notice. Here, sit. Did you guys–"

"Carla", I interrupt her. "We're fine. Don't worry."

"Oh..." she seems lost again. As if she's suddenly forgotten what to do.

"Mom", Eren calls in a broken voice. It's no wonder he didn't wanna come inside. Seeing his mother breaking down like this must be traumatizing for him. "Mom..." he reaches out. Hange motions for him to come closer while they stand up and move away. He sits next to her, holding her hands with his own trembling ones. And Carla breaks into tears, holding onto him for support.

"Eren... why did this happen Eren?!" she cries out. "H–How could he leave us like this?!"

"Mom..." by now Eren's crying too. "We have to b-be strong, alright? You still have me, and... and I still have you." He holds her closer. "We gotta... we gotta help each other get strong." He takes a breath, trying to stop his own voice from breaking. "Dad wouldn't want to see us cry, right?"