From Bad to Worse

~~Eren Jaeger~~

The last exam of the end of term signifies quite a few things.

Exams are over.

Another painful term is done.

One more school year left before I move to college.

And most importantly, two whole weeks of spring vacation.

So obviously, we're all a little elated as we make our way from school to home. Elated isn't exactly the word to describe it, I suppose. Relieved is a much better choice. Anyway, the main point is that we're finally free from the excruciating pressure, and we're reveling in that feel.

Well, at least I am. Not so sure about these two beside me.

Armin is being Armin, the crazy genius bastard that he is. Exams like these are not remotely enough to rile him up. So of course, I decide to ignore him on purpose.

Mikasa's face looks no different than usual, still carrying the same bored and indifferent look. It's kinda infuriating how nothing ever seems to faze her while I go hysteric stressing over exams. I watch her face closely for a while, and the expression is so painfully similar to someone's that I have to avert my eyes before I start feeling that familiar tightening in my throat.

Ah, yeah... apparently, teenage heartbreaks are not so easy to forget.

It's getting better with time – is what I'd like to say. But sadly, life is way crueler than that. It gives you a taste of the unattainable and then makes you stay up night after night just reminiscing over it. Like allowing you to have a sip of ambrosia and then all you are left with is the lingering taste in your mouth and you repeatedly swipe your tongue over and over just to taste it a little bit longer!

Well, that's how it is. Like being stuck in time. Like circling around those two days. Over and over and over.

It won't be like this forever, I know. I'll grow up and out of it as time does its healing. But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. So for now, I'm just gonna grit my teeth and go on with my life.

My fucking shitty joke of a life!

We say goodbye to Armin when we reach the road to his house. From there, Mikasa and I turn left. We don't really talk much on our way. Silence has always been comfortable with her. But somehow, she seems restless today. I watch her from the corner of my eye for a while before finally letting out a sigh.

"I'll be fine, Mika!"

Really, she worries too much sometimes.

Mikasa looks at me with concerned eyes and I raise my hand to flick her forehead.

"It's just two weeks. Go on your trip with Uncle Kenny", I assure her quietly. Then teasingly, I add – "It's not like I don't know you've already told Armin to keep an eye on me."

She opens her mouth to protest, but smiles instead.

"I worry about you Eren."

Her voice tells me how much she means those words. And I smile.