Chapter 7

Roy was surprised when he answered the door of his, for lack of a better word, house, to find Lyla waiting there.

"Lyla, is everything alright?" Roy asked.

"Yeah, at least, for me. Things between Johnny and I could not be going better, Oliver is back and no longer in any more danger of dying than he usually is from his line of work and I'm working on reforming Argus, though leaving the Ninth Circle alone as per Oliver's request. I'm more concerned about you." Lyla said.

"I'm fine. Truly. Could not be better." Roy said as he walked away from her.

"Yeah, why don't you try telling that to someone who doesn't lie for a living." Lyla said as she noticed the state of Roy's home.

"I'm fine." Roy repeated.

"No, you're not. You're still beating yourself up for something that happened in another reality. Actions that don't even exist anymore and never will." Lyla said.

"Yeah, you'd think that would make me better, except, when J'onn restored my memories, he also reminded me of everything I've done. Every innocent person I've killed. I thought that rejoining the team, being Arsenal, would help me, but it doesn't. I still see them when I close my eyes." Roy said.

"Is that why you haven't tried to patch things up with Thea? It doesn't take a genius to see that you still love her." Lyla said.

"She deserves better than me. She's a hero. I'm a monster." Roy said.

"You seem to be forgetting that Thea has the same demons as you. She's dealt with them. Having killed someone without being aware of it, the bloodlust, she's been through that too. And unlike you, she has the blood of one of her closest friends on her hands." Lyla reminded him.

"Yeah, I know. And honestly, I'm envious of how easily she's been able to move past it. That's something that I am still struggling with. Though I will admit that being with the team did help. It's just not enough though." Roy said.

"You don't feel like you're doing enough to atone for your actions." Lyla said.

"Not really. And I'm not sure I ever will." Roy said.

"Well, I think I may know something that will help with that." Lyla said.

"What?" Roy asked.

"I find myself in need of an agent. Preferably one who's very loyal and is a very good shot. Sound like anyone you know?" Lyla asked.

"We both know Oliver's not interested in working for Argus." Roy said.

"True, but we both know I wasn't talking about him." Lyla said and Roy chuckled humorlessly.

"Yeah, right. You really want me to be an Argus agent?" Roy asked.

"Yes I do. After Johnny killed his brother and was arrested after he'd been framed, he didn't want to leave because he felt like prison was his way to repent for killing his brother." Lyla said.

"From what I hear, Andy had it coming." Roy said.

"I agree with that. But my point is that John felt like he needed to atone for what he did and Oliver convinced him to do it as Spartan." Lyla said.

"Yeah well, I've tried doing my penance as Arsenal. Hasn't really given me the closure or peace I needed. Not enough of it anyways." Roy said.

"I know. But I think that being an Argus agent will." Lyla said.

"And what about the team. I can't just pick up and abandon for missions across the country, overseas. They're counting on me." Roy said.

"What's this really about? Because you've left before." Lyla reminded him.