Chapter 27

"Well, look who's back to his true glory." Lydia Cassamento said as Ricardo Diaz made his way into the Quadrant's headquarters.

"Yeah, it took a lot longer for you to get me out of that hell hole than it should've." Diaz said angrily as he walked past her.

"Some members of the Quadrant's council felt that getting you released was a waste of time. Not me of course. You know my loyalty to you is strong." Cassamento said and Diaz actually stopped and turned to face her.

"Don't worry, I know you wouldn't betray me like that. After all, you're the only one who was smart enough to back me willingly." Diaz said.

"Well, you made quite an entrance when you took over the Quadrant and I have to admit, despite my initial misgivings about you at first, you proved yourself to be a very competent leader, since the Quadrant's profits did increase significantly once you took over." Cassamento said and Diaz grinned.

"Nice to know at least one of you remembered." Diaz said.

"So, how are you going to handle the traitors?" Cassamento asked.

"First, I'm going to give them a chance to explain themselves. Then, once they've hung themselves, I'll kick the chairs out from under them." Diaz said.

"I'm hoping I'm not on that list?" Cassamento asked.

"Relax, you're safe." Diaz assured her, though his assurances did little to actually assuage her fears.

"You should know that I got in contact with the Ninth Circle. It turns out that they're interested in meeting with you as the leader of the Quadrant." Cassamento said.

"I like the initiative. Have you set a meeting yet?" Diaz asked.

"Not yet. They would only speak with the man in charge and since you were in prison when I made contact, I didn't see fit to the others in case they saw it as a chance to take you out permanently." Cassamento said.

"And that brain is the reason you're not gonna be dead. Get in touch with the Circle, tell them I'm happy to meet whenever and wherever is most convenient for them." Diaz said.

"Yes Mr. Diaz." Cassamento said as they entered the council room, where the other members went silent.

"Ricardo, it's nice to see you alive my friend." One of the members, Remy Cartier said.

"I'm sure it is. Since now you have to face me and your choice to let me rot in prison for life. Tell me, what on Earth made any of you think that was a good idea? You had to know I'd get out eventually and that I wouldn't be happy. The only one in this room whose loyalty is not in question is Ms. Cassamento and that's because she's smart enough to know how to keep the boss happy." Diaz said angrily.

"Except you shouldn't be the boss in the first place." Another member, Cyrus Broderick, said.

"Excuse me?" Diaz asked.

"This organization has operated since this country was founded, being run by four of its most influential families. Then you came in, a nothing, a petty crime lord from Star City, and practically insisted that we roll over at your command." Broderick said.

"And the Quadrant has flourished under his leadership. We've amassed more wealth and power than ever." Cassamento pointed out.

"Enough. You know, I'm glad I finally know what you really think of me Broderick." Diaz said.

"Really?" Broderick asked.

"Yeah, because now I won't wonder what you really thought of me when you're dead. Not that I'd do that, but still." Diaz said.

"What are you talking about?" Broderick asked, only to start gasping and choking, as did the other members besides Cassamento did as well.

"What did you do?" Cartier asked.

"Did you really think you'd survive doublecrossing me? I had you all poisoned before you even arrived here today." Diaz said with a grin as his former subordinates fell to the ground, dead.

"Time to pick up where I left off. Make contact with the Ninth Circle. It's time to take Star City back." Diaz said and Cassamento nodded as she walked off to do exactly that.