Chapter 41.5

I got discharged out of the hospital today, and at the same time, today is the hearing. I was dressed in the same clothes I wore on the day we held the meeting with the university. Formal and bloody. I was assisted by the police as they took me to the court. 

The coaches and Yumi-san will be there. The skaters won't be there since Brian told them not to come for my sake and theirs. I don't want to traumatize them. 

I looked out of the window to pass time as I heard the two officers talking about donuts and coffee.

'I didn't even think that police officers liked donuts and coffee. I thought they just generalized that in tv shows.'

After a long ride, we finally arrived at the place where all things will change. I got out of the car and was met by Ms. Liz. She gave me a smile before turning it to frown once she saw my clothes.

"You don't look like the victim here, Ms. Natsuna." She said as she looked at me up and down.

"Follow me, I'll give you a change of clothes." She said as she signaled me to follow her and I did.

We went to her car. She opened the trunk and revealed a gym bag filled with clothes. I looked at her with astonishment and confusion as to why she had such a thing.

"My field of work is quite...messy. I need to change once in a while. Here, try this on." She said as she gave me a white blouse that was similar to what I was wearing.

I looked around and back at her.

"Uhm...Here?" I asked feeling uncomfortable.

"Oh sorry...The toilets are inside and we don't want people looking at you suspiciously with the blood." She said as she thought for a moment of what to do.

"You can change in the car. It's tinted black so people from outside won't see." She said as she opened her car for me to get in.

"I'll be here, just knock on the window if it didn't fit." She said as I nodded closing the door.

I tried it on and fortunately, it did fit so I didn't have to worry about anything. I came out of the car as she looked at me up and down once again.

"Better. Are you ready?" She asked.

I took a deep breath and nodded.

'It's now or never.'

She nodded as well and we both went inside.

------------------------------------------------------------------

We went inside the empty hallways and was met by cold freezing air. She escorted me towards a big door as she stood in front of it. The security guard asked Liz for her ID as she pulled it out and showed it to him. He let us in and we were met by people looking at us. Shudders ran down in my spine. It felt like a blizzard in the secretary's office back in high school. Everything in this room reminded me of Japan for some reason. The stares reminded me of the classroom where students would stare once I'm having a panic attack. Yuzuru is one of the biggest reasons why I this place reminded me of Japan, along with my mom who was sitting on the right, with her lawyer.

She didn't dare look at me.

I didn't want her to look at me as well.

At that moment on, I felt like I let her down. I felt bad that she was here, that she was being investigated, that she could've been doing what she wanted to do. But this is what it gave her instead. There's a thin line whether her life could be ruined or mine.