Chapter 6: Apology

I visited Austin again after my last TTH class that ended at 3:00 o'clock but his mother looked at me sharply so I retreated, pretended to leave and waited around until she left the room. It was hard, being surrounded by the smell of blood and human flesh but the smell of disinfectant was also distracting so I focused on that instead.

I slipped inside after I was sure that the woman's not coming back and placed a stack of papers on his bedside table. There was a vase filled with expensive looking roses so I made it a paperweight.

"That's from yesterday's handout, then the mock test from our other subject," I said but he just rolled his eyes.

"You're really creepy, inviting yourself in and pretending that we're friends. You can drop the act and leave me alone, Magno, geez. Get a life."

I ignored his statement and settled on the couch like I always did. No matter what he says, we're past the point of being friends and he's painfully aware of that. Because if he wasn't, he wouldn't be throwing tantrums at me like we've known each other since kindergarten.

"Why's your mom always leaving?"

"She's staying at a hotel nearby."

"Hmm."

"You're here because you're hungry right?"

"To be honest, I don't have any idea why I'm here."

He sat up, face crumpled in pain but he's still pretty as heck. He extended his pale arm towards my face. I see his bluish veins and I hear the frantic beating of his heart.

"Bite me and don't stop until I'm dead. Please. . ." he said with his eyes shut real tight. I looked at him and grabbed his hand. He's warm and soft and so, so small.

"You know, if you're really not afraid to die, you'd watch your death through my eyes," I said with a small chuckle. He opened his eyes and tried to pull his arm but I didn't let go of his wrist. "And you're smart, so you should know that if you want to die, you'd offer me your neck."

I patted the side of my neck I believed where my carotid was. He blushed so hard in embarrassment.

"Fuck you! Leave me alone, you creepy bastard!" he shouted and next thing I know, the vase came flying to my face and it shattered, making a shower of water, broken ceramic pieces and rose petals. His eyes flew wide after realizing what he'd done.

"You seem energetic enough. Get well soon," I said and took my leave.

*

"The rumors were crazy," Champion whispered to me when I wandered to the pool. I found his note on the table. Usually, I'd ignore his invitations but I wasn't in the mood to study and stay cooped up in our room all alone so I went to the university pool with a thermos of steaming coffee. I can't seem to let go of my coffee addiction even in the afterlife.

"What did you hear?" I asked him. He's still warming up so I directed my gaze at the women's team where all the hot girls are. I wonder which one belongs to the Champion.

"You know, stuck-junk Magno."

We laughed. It was clearly a compliment, if what happened was true. But it doesn't mean I enjoy being at the receiving end of it.

"Men have it easy," I said while pouring myself a steaming cup of coffee. "We get those fake reputations while women get the bad ones."

"True, true."

"And it wasn't what really happened, you know," I said. "If they only knew what really happened."

I already told Champion the truth of what Austin did, minus his gender and the other thing about me. He sighed and told me that maybe I was meant to find her. That Austin should be thankful that it was me and not someone who despises her guts, because what she did was a sensitive issue.