Chapter 42: Friends

My backpack hovered right in front of my face before it landed gently on my desk.

"Oh, thank you," I said, temporarily at a loss for words when Lorenzo sat down on the chair at my right side.

"Your phone's inside. You know how hard it was to make up an excuse? My family didn't see you leave," he whispered in mock anger, leaning towards me. But I could clearly see the dark eye bags and a worried frown on his face just as he was assessing me to get a clue about my night. "What happened? Something happened last night right? Didn't see you earlier and I was out looking for you today."

"Can I say sorry?" I whispered back, folding my sunglasses before carefully stowing them inside my backpack's pocket. Atrocity, I know, but it's better than stuffing them inside my jean pocket.

"You better go back and ask my poor fam," he answered with a frown but he was smiling now. "I had trouble sleeping, like, literally awake the whole night. Something went wrong, right? I felt it but I had no one to ask and you left your phone. I mean, leaving like that, I could only imagine the reason wouldn't be good."

"It wasn't good. I had to leave," I said as sincerely as I could, staring at his eyes. "I'll come clean later, if I can."

I had decided to never tell him about my reason but a part of me wanted him to be wary of my true nature. As much as it is my responsibility to reign in my killing instinct, it is also their responsibility to always be on guard around me. I don't care about not being trusted. They better not trust me, actually, if they wanted to coexist.

"Don't hypnotize me, okay?"

"Heck, no."

"All right, I won't pry. But you really should return and explain yourself to my siblings. They were pretty bummed when they discovered you were gone. I told the kids you had some urgent meeting at the ministry of magic and now they're probably all over the house looking for the port key!"

"I am so ashamed of myself, just so you know."

"I was overthinking, that maybe you realized you hated hanging out with me."

"Why would I ever? I regretted not being able to hang out," I quickly said, automatically transforming Lorenzo's frown into a relieved smile. 

"Oh, you two had plans. Sana all."

I almost jumped at Clifford's voice right by my left ear and he wheezed as silently as possible because the instructor was already talking in front.

"Fuck you," I groaned, covering my ear. "Ugh, my ear is gonna rot and fall off now."

"That's for leaving me out," Clifford said with a smug grin, triumphant in his sneak attack. "Heard you had a sleepover. What is this favoritism, Magno? Don't you love me too? I am an awesome friend too."

"Half of a sleepover. The other half was spent with me asking myself what went wrong," Lorenzo answered before I could even pacify the other guy.

"You spent your night with your girlfriend so don't act like you're the loser here," I said, sniffing him. He quickly blushed and brushed me off, pretending to be preoccupied with the matter involving me.

"What did he do?" Clifford asked Lorenzo who was sitting right next to me on my right side. "Did he tease you and then stopped when you're about to cum?"

Gods, these guys are shameless.

"Moron," Lorenzo said, ignoring the dirty joke. He didn't even flinch as much as I did. "Guy jumped out from our veranda to our neighbor's roof and made a cliché silhouette on the moon. Like, how cliché can you get, huh? Doing that Batman thing like he hasn't been a vampire for several months now."